Kask Protone - which sunglasses?

Adrian Waine
Adrian Waine Posts: 284
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I'm looking for some sunglasses that will fit with my Protone helmet and not foul on the cradle or pads.
I currently have Bolle Vortex (bought when I had a different helmet) and the ends of the arms sit on the cradle pads, which I find really annoying as they rattle and slip.
I like to have the cradle quite low down, which probably doesn't help. Tried lots of models (including Oakley and Tifosi) so far but not anything that works for me. Straight arm models (so most of them) aren't good as the arms are too long and the best I have come up with to date are my decades old Ray Ban Aviators, which have conventional arms which curve around the backs of my ears and the thin wire misses the sides of the cradle. The problem with these is that they obviously aren't a wrap around design and there are significant areas where the sun, bugs and wind can get in.
Yet another problem is that I need prescription lenses (varifocals for preference) so that reduces the choice further. Not keen on inserts, but if needs must....
Has anybody had the same problem? P'raps Froomey might reply!
Adrian W.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Has anybody had the same problem? P'raps Froomey might reply!

Don't be surprised if Froome recommends Oakleys....
  • Adrian Waine
    Perhaps if I got them for free..... :wink:
    Adrian W.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Maybe, but the fact that you have already tried Oakleys, combined with the fact that Sky routinely wear Oakley/Protone combos without any apparrent issues suggests that whatever anyone else recommends may not work for you either, for the same reason.

Trial and error is the only way forward.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I sent my Kask back as it didn't mesh with my radarlocks, but then I found Lazer helmets, and all was good in the world :-)

Good luck with your search, must be various ones out there I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Adrian Waine
    Lots of error so far.
    I would think that a significant pro team like Sky could get the manufacturers to 'tweak' stuff that they wouldn't / couldn't do for us mere mortals.
    Or am I being cynical here?
    Adrian W.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    RudyProject Genetyk. The end of the arms are malleable so can be bent down to miss the protection for the base of the skull. The helmet has to be worn tight with the ratchet otherwise it can drop forward and press glasses onto the ridge of the nose. The Mojito is a much better fit i find.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Adrian Waine
    Thanks for that.
    Do they need a bit of heat input or will they bend (and stay bent) without?
    Can't remember why I went for the Protone, think it was because of the solid top which keeps the sun off my bald spot.
    Certainly not for the aero - I don't go fast enough without gravity to help!
    Adrian W.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    i wear oakleys with the proton, models ev zero path, and radar path, both fit fine, no issues over 18 months

at the front the helmet has maybe 1cm gap to top of glasses (with the ev zero), once the cradle is adjusted the tips of the arms don't foul on it

but i'd think fit will vary with head shape/size and helmet size
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Adrian Waine
    Thanks Sungod,
    How do you wear your cradle? I like mine right down which puts straight sunglass arms right onto the pads. If I retract the cradle the arms are OK, but the helmet feels 'wrong.'
    Tried bending the arms on my Bolle Vortex - didn't go well :(
    Adrian W.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    middle-low, not all the way, tbh i don't find the feel varies much with cradle position

as i adjust the wheel at the back, the cradle moves in and is out of the way of the arms of the glasses
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Adrian Waine
    Think I must have a lumpy nut as there are only a couple of positions which are really comfy. Just annoying that they aren't good for eyewear.
    That's life I suppose.
    I'll have to go and annoy some more opticians!
    Adrian W.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Thanks for that.
    Do they need a bit of heat input or will they bend (and stay bent) without?
    Can't remember why I went for the Protone, think it was because of the solid top which keeps the sun off my bald spot.
    Certainly not for the aero - I don't go fast enough without gravity to help!

No heat required, just gradual manipulation to get the shape you want.

I'm similar in buying the Protone for my bald spot, but wear a head cover these days as sun cream eventually runs down into my eyes, even the stuff that isn't supposed to run. The Protone is a poor fit I find and nothing like as secure as my old Mojito.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Adrian Waine
    I suppose we are all different shapes. I like the Protone, but didn't get on with Spesh, Giro (until more recently) or Met etc. I live in Cumbria, so not a huge range here.

For sun stuff, have you tried Ambre Solaire Clear Protect + ? It's a once a day formulation and doesn't seem to stain clothes or remain too oily like P20. Small insects will stick to it. No idea what it's like if it gets into your eyes though. I turned the white bits of a new Assos top brown with the P20 SPF50 product. Not happy, but there was a warning on the label - just wish I'd read it!
    My Do-Wrap SweatVac Stubby is a constant companion in the hot weather, it has quite an effective sweat band. Mail ordered from the States for $18, if memory serves, and no extra postage.
    http://www.dowrap.com/mensdowraps.htm

I had a try with the Vortex. The arms are a ladder construction and the inner piece starts to collapse as did my resolve. Perhaps I'll try again after the pub.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Adrian W.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Have you tried Jawbreakers? The arms are pretty thin, might fit under the cradle. Or alternatively, they have adjustable arms. You could run them on the shortest setting.
  • Adrian Waine
    I'd not really considered the Jawbreakers. TBH they are a bit too stylish for me but thanks for the suggestion.
    In these circumstances I'm always surprised how many variations there are and how what works for one doesn't work for another. I suppose that's life - must get over it!
    Adrian W.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I'm not sure I'd describe jawbreakers as stylish! They do work well (for me) with the protone though. Might be worth reconsidering them.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    How about trying Kasks own glasses the Koos which are designed to work with Kasks own helmets
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I need a new helmet but worry they wont fit my sunnies! FFS
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    I wear Jawbreakers, Ride 100% Speedcrafts and on occasion POC Do Blades with my Protone - of the three the Speedcrafts have the best fit, but the Jawbreakers are my go to as they're not quite so massive as the Speedcrafts.

If you want to go retro though, Oakley Eyeshades fit surprisingly well too!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    skip the glasses and go with whole eye contacts.
    1462913699_836_sclera-black1.jpg
  • Adrian Waine
    I'm not sure I'd describe jawbreakers as stylish!

I was taught to always be polite!
    Seriously, I need corrective lenses (vari or bi-focals), but I don't want to go down the RX insert route, so it narrows the field somewhat.

I saw the Koos, but I don't think they are available with prescription lenses. Drat.
    My wife has suggested contacts but I CAN'T DO IT. Too much fiddling with eyeballs. They're out. Period. The lenses that is. :evil:
    Adrian W.