saturday darkness across eternity

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,436
edited June 2017 in The bottom bracket
'ning

well, summer was short and snappy, now the days are shortening, i suppose these darker mornings and cloud are it for the next 51* weeks

espresso, ride up and down, more espresso, ride around and around, second brekkie with espresso, head home, espresso on the way, etc.

maybe prep some tubs later

* except up where pinno is, i heard they have no summer at all there
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    I think I enjoyed too much cider and rum last night, was meant to be having a chilled night and then started watching Radiohead. Bright side, spoke to mate in California for ages after I watched them

Today is kids duty and tidy up ready for friends over later
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    A bit windy over here. Need to go and buy a shirt. I think i'll buy a blue one.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    On enforced no-cycling today after eye jab 6 of 6 yesterday. No water allowed near the scene for 48 hours, so no drizzle, sweat, shower afterwards etc etc. Therefore a day of light garden pottering to come.

Was that the last needle in the eye? Got another review with consultant in 4 weeks, got a feeling he's going to recommend some more...

Ride planned for tomorrow though, bring it on.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    orraloon wrote:
    Therefore a day of light garden pottering to come.

No - don't get grit/dust in it ffs.

We had a record breaking 3 weeks of sweltering 'summer' here. At one point, it almost got above 18 degrees centigrade once*. So put that in your southern pipe and smoke it.
    Today consists of threatening clouds of rain. There's not even any wind to blow it all away.
    What's it like over there Gazza? Did the wife come back last night or did she come staggering back at 3 am stinking of booze, covered in Kebab drippings and puke, shouting "I suppose you want my body then?" ?

*Other standard international units of measurement are available.

The sun just popped out!!

In other news. toots entertainment, nutrition and arbitration development support officer me.

Update later.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start has been had. Got to go and buy the old man a birthday present and wash the car as I think I have a buyer for it. Just need to get a new one first.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start has been had. Got to go and buy the old man a birthday present and wash the car as I think I have a buyer for it. Just need to get a new one first.

Would he like a second hand car for his birthday?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    Pinno wrote:
    *Other standard international units of measurement are available.

morning ride of 318,928 lg, drizzle and light rain, temperature fell as low as -0.2 ° Hn
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Morning folks,

Would he like a second hand car for his birthday?
    Good thinking, two birds one stone. Just need a big sheet of wrapping paper now.
  • Garry H
    Raining over here.

No fear of that, there isn't a kebab shop within twenty miles of this place.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Afternoon,

Decent sleep, bit of a lie in and walked the hound in the park, where he had a play fight with a massive Russian Terrier and held his own quite well considering the other dog was about three times bigger.

Stropteen came back early from her Saturday morning activity feeling unwell so I've been sorting out loads of parental related paperwork into nice neat files while she's back in bed. This afternoon I might drop by and see a mate to keep out of the way of the random job giver.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Arrived back home after 3 weeks at the beach away from reality. Too late to bother with much beyond emptying the car and hitting the wine bottle.

Can see that tomorrow won't be fun - a lot of cleaning up to do in the garden and pool. Yippee.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    edited June 2017
    Jackanory No.3 - The Forest of dean

My first visit to the Forest of Dean was delivering a parcel. I was directed half a dozen times to the wrong place at least twice. My first request at asking directions was in a pub, on the corner of nowhere.
    "Excuse me, can anyone tell me where such n such is please"
    Punter 1 "oh yeah darlin' [they call you Darling in parts of Gloucestershire. It may explain the state of the gene pool], you go left 'ere and you go right there and you look for the 3rd lamp post on your..."
    Punter 2 interrupts: "No ye don't, you go left 'ere and right there and you go over the bridge at Lydbrook and..."
    Punter 3 quickly jumps in, banging his Tankard on the bar "I was born in such n such, i'll tell you the way..."
    Punter 4 puts his oar in before I get any sort of instruction "Yoos might 'ave been born there but yoos know nuthin..."

I left the premises no wiser to a cacophony of dissent and argument. I presume a fisty cuffs broke out which would have been celebrated by an all day/nighter and copious quantities of Pale Ale/cider/whatever the hell was left.

Finally, I arrive having gone down a narrow lane with what appeared to be mist hanging around at ground level. I tried my best to spot the pygmies in amongst the closely knit trees, moss and a general resemblance to a Lord of the Rings set.
    There's 5 identical cottages. No numbers or house names, no indication of where I am supposed to drop this parcel.
    I knock on the door of the first house. A thick set short woman with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on her chin answers the door.
    "Who you looking for deary" It was a happy, though momentary break from 'darling'.
    "Says here Jones"
    "ooooh" she says and turning her head "You exerpekting parcel Jack?"
    Out emerges a thick set short man with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on his chin.
    He looks quizzically at the parcel. A long pause...
    "Noooo"
    "Have you come far?" Says thick set short woman with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on her chin.
    I explain it wasn't far but it took a while to get here.
    "Would you like a saanwhich, you must be famished?" Says thick set short woman with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on her chin.
    "it's okay thank you - I had lunch".
    "Wills you be back 'ome late?" Says thick set short woman with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on her chin.
    "I'll try my best". Not that the current dilemma which was turning into an epic was going to achieve that end.
    The thick set short woman with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on her chin knocks on the next door along.
    Out pops a thick set short woman with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on her chin.
    But she's not exerpekting a parcel either. Nor is her house mate. Indistinguishable as a partner, husband, wife, lover, sister even.
    ...and so this process is repeated until finally, the recipient is identified. The entire population of this Hamlet is now crowded around this one individual, all staring in anticipation of it opening the parcel. It's one of those stares that I think up and till this point, only the KKK could evoke. The recipient leaves the scene quickly and their attention comes back to me.
    I then get bombarded by questions. The problem is, I want a signature and what should have been a 15 minute job is now elongated disproportionately and the thick set short woman with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on her chin who had received the parcel has now vacated the scene. A part of me was concerned that one of the present genii would claim the parcel if they were given the opportunity to sign for it on her behalf.
    "Will you get 'ome late?... Have you got much to do?... Have you come far?... Would you like a saanwhich?"

I elected to sign it myself. I leave to a chorus of good bye's and '"Come visit us again some tyme... Have a safe journey".

I count my blessings and quickly forget the inordinate amount of time spent delivering one, small parcel to a Jones of the description of thick set, short, with over sized eyebrows and whiskers on there chins because it didn't turn sour and I wasn't par boiled in a cauldron with a topping of wild garlic and Celandine. Or perhaps shrunk using some potion uniquely known to this little Hamlet into a short person with...
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    A very long post.
    Do you have any idea how far your kids could have got in the time it took you to type this? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    A very long post.
    Do you have any idea how far your kids could have got in the time it took you to type this? :wink:

I was 3 hours in the park with them. They were substantially exercised.
    Need to find something tomorrow to do.
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    A very long post.

Tossing hay bales?
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    A very long post.

Tossing hay bales?

It's a bit of a long drive.
  • Garry H
    All you need is a pitchfork and a haybale.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Heh heh. Thanks Bernard Cribbins, I enjoyed the jackanory!
  • hopkinb
    Mildly sh!te day, enlivened by burgers and hot wings with the nippers and the missus at Croydon box park. Lots of tussage out early in Croydon.
  • pinno
    I bought a Mercedes in Croydon.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    I drove through Croydon in a Mercedes.
  • hopkinb
    I've never had a Mercedes, nor driven one. Been to Croydon a bit though.
  • Stevo_666
    Best avoided if possible. Famous mainly for:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_facelift
  • pinno
    It was a very old Merc.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    It was a very old Merc.
    Or possibly two halves of two very old Mercs given where you bought it.
  • hopkinb
    Box park is great for all kinds of different grub, and it's on the tram from Wimbledon for us. Kids love it, and I get to give sidelong glances to slightly plump girls in slightly too small clothes who probably laugh about the pervy grandad leering at them.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    It was a very old Merc.
    Or possibly two halves of two very old Mercs given where you bought it.

It didn't go crab fashion. It was a wedding car. I had seen it on Auto trader and it started at £2k plus and slowly went down and down until I bit the bullet and parted with £650. Spent £3k on it over the next 6 years though.

e6bdbb2ebd683111c603d043fe4330a2.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb wrote:
    Box park is great for all kinds of different grub, and it's on the tram from Wimbledon for us. Kids love it, and I get to give sidelong glances to slightly plump girls in slightly too small clothes who probably laugh about the pervy grandad leering at them.
    I suppose we could get there on the tram from Beckenham. As long as the driver doesn't decide to take hairpin bends at 40mph.
  • Garry H
    hopkinb wrote:
    I've never had a Mercedes, nor driven one. Been to Croydon a bit though.

Same here.
  • Garry H
    Where's haydenm?