Are the Tories sh1tting themselves about the next election?

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,480
edited June 2017 in The cake stop
A brief summary

A "liaison" with the DUP , a party which makes the Taliban seem mainstream.
Brexit, failure to deliver, inflation up, investment down, jobs migrating overseas...
A loss of 20 percentage points in the polls.
Corbyn seemingly statesman, finding his feet and resonating with the public
Corbyn has seen off two challenges to his leadership and achieved an electoral result beyond an reasonable expectation.

I'd say the Tories will do anything to avoid another election and I would have never voted for Corbyn but I'm persuaded, I really am.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• I think everybody is sh!tting themselves about the next election, because it ain't gonna be any better than the last...
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    No.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    More importantly, is there any hope for Cake Stop?
    I mean, it used to be a jovial place but now it's the merry go round political crossover forum.
    There is a distinct lack of tom foolery and an endless stream of bollox.

I therefore protest at ye, Mart of the Slow.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    +1

Time was they used to crawl back under their rocks after an election.

No more unfortunately.

Left wing or right bile is bile and it tastes vile.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Having lost a 25% lead in only a few weeks and now going further behind in the polls they definitely don't want another election anytime soon. Hence the desperate deal attempt with the DUP which puts a lot of strain on the Good Friday agreement.
  • slowmart
    Pinno wrote:
    I mean, it used to be a jovial place but now it's the merry go round political crossover forum.

You see, it's catching, corbyn like behaviour, protesting and agitating against the many, by the few for what they see as right and social justice for all.

:wink:

On a more light hearted note what's happened to the paper shuffling, number conjuroring, Farage panty sniffer from Bromley?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    The same DUP Labour would need to get a majority along with snp, LibDems and green party. DUP will be ok if with Labour right? BTW I heard or read somewhere that Labour has already talked to DUP.

Brexit hasn't got anywhere compared to where the endpoint needs to be. There's no failure to deliver yet I'm afraid. Talk then down all you like I'll wait and see.
    Not confident it'll be ok though I feel under Corbyn government of misfits like SNP, green party and DUP it's still better under the Tories. I really don't get this Corbyn the statesman image being bandied around. I don't think his policies stand up to scrutiny. I don't want to see him getting into number 10 Downing Street. Scary thought IMHO.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Slowmart wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

You see, it's catching, corbyn like behaviour, protesting and agitating against the many, by the few for what they see as right and social justice for all.

:wink:

On a more light hearted note what's happened to the paper shuffling, number conjuroring, Farage panty sniffer from Bromley?
    Yeah Pinno, stop behaving like a loser. Why wallow, when, with some lateral thinking, you could be a Winner!
    IMO here in the Cake Stop we are all winners, but thats's the kind of "prizes for all" guy I am.
    I am Jeremy Corbyn - hands up :lol:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Slowmart wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    More...Slow.

In d-nile.
  • slowmart
    The same DUP Labour would need to get a majority along with snp, LibDems and green party. DUP will be ok if with Labour right? BTW I heard or read somewhere that Labour has already talked to DUP.

Brexit hasn't got anywhere compared to where the endpoint needs to be. There's no failure to deliver yet I'm afraid. Talk then down all you like I'll wait and see.
    Not confident it'll be ok though I feel under Corbyn government of misfits like SNP, green party and DUP it's still better under the Tories. I really don't get this Corbyn the statesman image being bandied around. I don't think his policies stand up to scrutiny. I don't want to see him getting into number 10 Downing Street. Scary thought IMHO.

May is holding on to provide time for the Tories to rebuild as the present position at Westminster means no one can govern effectively which means another election. When is the question.

I agree the lack of detail for delivery on Corbyns manifesto is stark but the Tories didn't effectively exploit this omission aspect during the election.

However, the voting demographic makes interesting reading. A 47 point lead for labour in first time voters, that's an amazing statistic while the older you are the more likely to are to vote conservative. But given the turn out of 84% of
    Voters aged 70 plus against 57% of 18-19 year olds who voted the potential for increased penetration is with Labour.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/13/ho ... -election/

Desmond Tutu
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Bit much having a go at Labour for not being explicit on how to deliver policies when the Tories, a year into Brexit, and having been in government for 7 years prior, with the help and advice of civil servants still don't have details on Brexit.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    True Tories gave little away in the GE but TBH I am not talking spelling it all out. I'm just talking about I am just not seeing how Labour government could afford half the policies.

Then again all this talk about Brexit amuses me. It started with article 50 being triggered on the 29th March this year, not a year. Why the delay? Well I'd rather they had time to assess and prepare. A50 triggered a clock, taking time before that to get better prepared for the sh1tty deal May took over from Cameron. Add to all that we don't know what the Brexit deal will end up looking like. Too easy to present it as a disaster at every turn in the negotiations. I'd prefer to wait until the end is in sight.

Then a final issue in have with Corbyn and the younger support base is the almost cult like nature it seems to have. Party rallies always have activists cheering to order. However I've noticed it's different with Labour this year. Corbyn's name being chanted to seven nations army tune is just one symptom. Cult of personality perhaps? BTW a Labour rally in my nearby town was without st Corbyn but it looked as though he was there. Bused in crowds, unions filling out the crowd (unite id holders were very evident around activists' necks). I reckoned more were Labour activists than actual locals. It's a different feel to it. You might think it's positive because it's bringing ppl in that never got interested.in politics before. I agree that's positive, but it feels naive or rather exploitative of the younger voters to me.
  • pinno
    This is not good. I have tried to derail this thread but to no avail.

Sod it
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Pinno wrote:
    This is not good. I have tried to derail this thread but to no avail.

Sod it
    I can't even be arsed to clink on the link, but I think I got the point of the thread :lol:
    (Probably didn't look like that above, but then I am a twat)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Pinno wrote:

I agree, Pinno.

Perhaps it's time for a "Politics" thread and those that like to discuss that can do so in there?

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Do what I did one summer. No TV , no radio, no newspapers. This was pre Internet, so I would have to add that. Ignorance truly is bliss and life carries on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qOyT3ZkUxI
    Theresa and the holy grail :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Obviously Slowmart knows zero, zilch and nothing of the DUP so my advice is to make sure of the facts before comparing them to the Taliban. Perhaps he could now reply and list the number of murders, bombings etc that have been carried out by members of the DUP. I will await the list.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Btw. Tangled Metal is correct. Also in 2010 the Labour Party were cosying up to the DUP hoping for a deal. Short memories some people.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Do what I did one summer. No TV , no radio, no newspapers. This was pre Internet, so I would have to add that. Ignorance truly is bliss and life carries on.

Love doing this when on holiday, everything gets turned off for a week or 2. Even tell my wife to not let me know whats going on as she can't be without her phone. Absolute heaven, truly not a care in the world.

Usually come back to find out what latest tragedy has befallen us and then get back in the habit of checking everything all the time once again.