CAAD 12 frameset built advice

Hendrix2430
Hendrix2430 Posts: 119
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, I need some advice.

I"m pretty new to cycling, having bought last year a 2016 Giant Defy 1 for commuting purposes mostly. I've upgraded the Tektro brakes to 105 so it's all 105 now.

The defy is a great bike, its geometry is very comfy and versatile, but I want something more racy. Therefore I'm now thinking on getting either a CAAD12 frame or a complete CAAD12.

Getting a frame would mean saving up on components (and keeping the defy frame) and I could go slowly and make small upgrades down the line, while keeping the excellent Defy frame. A new CAAD 12 would be easier but more expensive.

The frameset (£800) i'm thinking on getting comes with a fork, seatube + clamp, headset, and I think everything could easily be switched over. But I'm not sure how compatible my current crank/chainset (Shimano RS500 34/50) and compact 11/32 cassette would be on the CAAD frame.

Do you guys think I could easily switch everything over to the CAAD frame?

Thanks a lot for help!

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2017
    To swap the crank over, you'll need a specific BB30A (not BB30) to Shimano 24mm adapter to acccomodate to wider BB30A bottom bracket on the CAAD12.

Like this
    http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/ca ... ranks.html

You'll also need a new seatpost for the CAAD12. I dont believe the frameset comes with a seatpost. The d-fuse shaped seatpost on the Defy wont fit.

The CAAD 12 seatpost is 25.4mm in diameter.

Also you might need a new stem. If the Defy has an overdrive steerer tube (1.1/4''), the Defy stem will be too big for the CAAD 12 steerer (1.1/8''). If it's not an overdrive steerer, then the stem will be a straight swap.

Everything else would switch over fine.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Just wait though the frames will be in the sales soon. Last year I got the Caad 10 Black Inc disc frameset for £350 new.

That said the 10 was an older frame but I still think these will come down to circa £500. The purple one looks sweet.

Keep an eye out at Sigma and Evans.
  • Hendrix2430
    Thanks!

Well I've been looking at the silver/yellow 2017 frameset in 52 which is for sale on Bike24...

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... =1000,4,34

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that included in the delivery is the seatpost/clamp?

The frame/fork/steerer tube/headset/seatpost+clamp should be the package.

I plan on building it up and taking my time with it.

I'm not sure I want a disc frameset to be honest, which is what the purple one on sigma is. They're a bit heavier and more complex to service etc...

The big thing will be choosing the chainset wisely. Not sure if it's worth putting a shimano vs buying a SI chainset which would fit straight in without worrying about an adaptor etc...

The rest I could transfer easily I think, but I do plan on choosing a nice handlebar and stem...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You seem to be talking about keeping the defy as a spare frameset rather than built up, which seems a little odd to me, as it's arguably the least useful spare to have - most frames have good warranty coverage, and it would take a long time to switch all the bits across should you ever want to.

If I were in your position I would probably look at getting a lower end caad with Claris/Sora/tiagra, then swap all the bits across, so giving a caad best bike with 105 and keeping the defy for winter/wet with the cheaper group.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    a bit late now but Sigma had a sale on the CAAD12 disc frameset plus discount I got mine for £350, i also managed to nab the seatpost on sale from Westbrooks and FSA do a BB30A to 24mm adapter for £11.50

if you havent already keep an eye on the sales, july is a good month for bargains
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bmxboy10
    itboffin wrote:
    a bit late now but Sigma had a sale on the CAAD12 disc frameset plus discount I got mine for £350, i also managed to nab the seatpost on sale from Westbrooks and FSA do a BB30A to 24mm adapter for £11.50

if you havent already keep an eye on the sales, july is a good month for bargains
    When was that?

The Rotor shimano adaptor worked great on my 10
  • Hendrix2430
    TimothyW wrote:
    You seem to be talking about keeping the defy as a spare frameset rather than built up, which seems a little odd to me, as it's arguably the least useful spare to have - most frames have good warranty coverage, and it would take a long time to switch all the bits across should you ever want to.

If I were in your position I would probably look at getting a lower end caad with Claris/Sora/tiagra, then swap all the bits across, so giving a caad best bike with 105 and keeping the defy for winter/wet with the cheaper group.

Patience got the best of me and I pulled the trigger... the idea is to build up the caad 12 and keep the defy as a winter bike. So I could use the CAAD this summer, i could switch over the 105 from the defy, although it would make more sense and save the hassle to wait a bit until I have all the parts to build the caad...
  • bmxboy10
    TimothyW wrote:

Patience got the best of me and I pulled the trigger... the idea is to build up the caad 12 and keep the defy as a winter bike. So I could use the CAAD this summer, i could switch over the 105 from the defy, although it would make more sense and save the hassle to wait a bit until I have all the parts to build the caad...

If you can get new stuff. Something wrong with chucking old bits on a new frame especially something like a Caad. What did you get - the rim version? If so just get a 105 Groupset with Rotor BB conversion. You will get some 28c tyres on the Caad no problems to help with comfort. Internal cable routing can be tricky round the BB so be patient when building it up. Have fun!
  • Hendrix2430
    solboy10 wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

If you can get new stuff. Something wrong with chucking old bits on a new frame especially something like a Caad. What did you get - the rim version? If so just get a 105 Groupset with Rotor BB conversion. You will get some 28c tyres on the Caad no problems to help with comfort. Internal cable routing can be tricky round the BB so be patient when building it up. Have fun!

Yes definitely I'm planning to use the defy as a winter bike and take my time in building up the caad. It's a rim version so indeed so the main thing is the BB converter.

Ill have a look at the Rotor, thanks. Are there any other that I could look at? Cheers!
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

Yes definitely I'm planning to use the defy as a winter bike and take my time in building up the caad. It's a rim version so indeed so the main thing is the BB converter.

Ill have a look at the Rotor, thanks. Are there any other that I could look at? Cheers!

Praxis do one but it's more expensive than the rotor
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I have just taken my Cannondale SI crankset off my CAAD 12 if your interested.
  • Hendrix2430
    banditvic wrote:

Looking to stay with shimano cranks but is it the hollogram one or the regular SI one?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    banditvic wrote:

I could be interested, what you looking to get for them?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.