Glastonbury - whose watching?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited June 2017 in The cake stop
So, who else is getting the beers in to watch the bands on widescreen tv's in the comfort of their own homes? 8)

Looking forward to Radiohead later (was there last time they played), and currently appreciating a bit of Royal Blood on the Pyramid Stage. Listened to She Drew the Gun earlier - fab.

...now where's that nice clean toilet. Dont really need a wee just yet, but given there's no queue why waste it...?!

Who are you looking out for?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Future Islands for me a bit later, still haven't decided about the final part of this evening..not sure if I'm going to go with Radiohead.

Loyle Carner, Songhoy Blues and Joe Goddard from tomorrow and after that I'm not sure. Maybe Moderat and Justice on Sunday. Definitely not Ed Sheeran.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Jeremy Corbyn!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Nope, live gigs are crap on TV at the best of times and Glastonbury is over-hyped at the best of times.
  • verylonglegs
    Jeremy Corbyn!

Is the he going to be playing the spoons and singing Woody Guthrie proper working class style?
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Can't wait. I saw Radiohead back in 1995/6 at Milton Keynes and like most of their early to mid career stuff. Got into a lot of new (to me) stuff last year.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    SWNS_GLASTONBURY_AERIAL_22.jpg
    It must be an incredible feeling to write a song and perform it to thousands of people who want to listen and appreciate it.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Pross wrote:
    Nope, live gigs are crap on TV at the best of times and Glastonbury is over-hyped at the best of times.
    I don't think Foo Fighters have ever been disappointing live anywhere. Bloody hell, I hope there isn't really a first time for everything.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • luv2ride
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I don't think Foo Fighters have ever been disappointing live anywhere. Bloody hell, I hope there isn't really a first time for everything.
    Actually, I saw them at Wembley a few years ago (the night before they did two shows with members of Led Zep :( ) I'm sure Grohl and the boys were as good as ever but the sound was CRAP and completely robbed the show of any atmosphere. People were talking near where we were stood and you could easily hear them over the band. Had been really looking forward to it but ended up leaving halfway through (and I'm a fan). Could never understand it as Supergrass were supporting and they sounded great by comparison, but something went very wrong when the Foos came on.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Saw the Foo's at The Big Day Out in Auckland year 2000 and they sounded fantastic,and i'm not that much of a fan

As for glasto the ones i'm going to try and watch Radiohead The XX, lorde,Mark Lanegan,DJ Shadow and Goldfrapp
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I just find the sound and atmosphere don't come across on TV no matter how good your TV is set up. I prefer listening to bands indoors though anyway, not a fan of big outdoor gigs.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Future Islands for me a bit later, still haven't decided about the final part of this evening..not sure if I'm going to go with Radiohead.

Loyle Carner, Songhoy Blues and Joe Goddard from tomorrow and after that I'm not sure. Maybe Moderat and Justice on Sunday. Definitely not Ed Sheeran.

Cheers, heard them on the radio the other day and made a mental note to look them up, but then forgot what they were called.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Worst lineup ever!

Wife is there with her mates and i dont think any of them plan to go to the main stages
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Big XX fan - saw them at Brixton a few months ago - similar set - enjoyed it.

I'm one of the biggest Radiohead fans around so natch very excited by that.

Also enjoyed Royal blood. Unfortunately that's pretty it. So a good Friday and that's about it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Really looking forward to Radiohead later. It always seems to be a memorable event when they play Glastonbury.

Only question is whether to watch it on the box or listen in on 6 Music. I'm not sure if they broadcast the whole set on TV whereas they're definitely playing the whole set on the radio.
  • verylonglegs
    itboffin wrote:
    Worst lineup ever!

Wife is there with her mates and i dont think any of them plan to go to the main stages

Usually find statements like this OTT but I really do get the sentiment this time. In the past I've been able to look through the schedule and find plenty of interest but have definitely struggled this year.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    FocusZing wrote:
    SWNS_GLASTONBURY_AERIAL_22.jpg
    It must be an incredible feeling to write a song and perform it to thousands of people who want to listen and appreciate it.
    Alternatively, they can go to Glastonbury.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Well so far I am enjoying it. Elbow I can do without - I just don't get them. Blossoms were good, First Aid Kit are great anyhow and I have just opened another bottle of wine as Kate Tempest is coming soon, and she is good.
    Caught some of Royal Blood earlier - flipping excellent band maybe veering into different territory from their beginnings. Missed Kris Kristofferson (bugger), but hey ho.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Pross wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I just find the sound and atmosphere don't come across on TV no matter how good your TV is set up. I prefer listening to bands indoors though anyway, not a fan of big outdoor gigs.

Simular thought prefer academy sized gigs,arenas seem a bit big although the new one at Leeds is really good,as long as you're not above the first tier,only been to to a few outside gigs in the last 10 years
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Well Radiohead have been a mixed bag. It's almost like they've moved on over the last 20 years and I still wish it was the 90s.

They can still make me cry though.
  • luv2ride
    I reckon Radiohead nailed it. Brilliant band, keep pushing in different directions. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Most I've ever heard Thom speak at a gig too....i almost wish they didn't finish with Creep though, bit cheeseballs for me, but still did a great version.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Thought they were shite, real kings new clothes job.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    It wouldn't have been right to play just the 20 year old hits. Airbag was amazing though. Loved it except creep.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Thought they were pretty awesome. Hard to please all the people with such an impressive back catalogue.

Played most of OK C over the course of the set which was probably appropriate.

Great to hear some personal favourites, Let Down, Pyramid Song etc. Airbag was great but think they should have opened with it.

It will probably go down as the poorest of their 3 headline performances but only because the other two were so unbelievably good.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Sleaford mods! Jesus hahahaha!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Rigga wrote:
    Jesus hahahaha!
    I went through the entire set list for the Comedy Stage and missed him completely - judging by the number of 'ha's he must have been good.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    It's now populated by 99.99% middle class white faces (that Elbow set summed it up nicely). The only black/ethnic faces to be seen are on the stage and that pretty much sums up the modern Glastonbury. I've played at the festival three times which I appreciate is a fantastic thing to do and we've been asked back since, but I'm not interested any more. Saying that, I'll be catching up on the Lorde set. Anyone who can write a song like 'Royals' aged 16 is destined for great things.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Foo Fighters tonight. Some new tracks from forthcoming album on set list. Hopefully a world tour next year to promote. Shan't be watching anyone else.

Ed Sheerin to close the festival? I just don't get the phenomenon of his popularity.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ed Sheerin to close the festival? I just don't get the phenomenon of his popularity.
    Possibly you are not in his target audience demographic?

Comparison for me, Ariana Grande. Until the recent unfortunate events, who she? However, watching the One Love concert on tv I started to appreciate why she has such a yoof following.

Open your mind, man, and let the positive vibes flow. 8)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Shan't be watching anyone else.

This is too funny. You're watching one act only then questioning the choice of closing act. Clearly this event isn't for you. It is just like if I questioned Little Mix's choice of set list :lol:

I'm not an ES fan directly but I can absolutely see his appeal and he's meant to be fabulous at working a crowd and always wins over admirers.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Shan't be watching anyone else.

This is too funny. You're watching one act only then questioning the choice of closing act. Clearly this event isn't for you. It is just like if I questioned Little Mix's choice of set list :lol:

I'm not an ES fan directly but I can absolutely see his appeal and he's meant to be fabulous at working a crowd and always wins over admirers.

Yep. Only interested in the Foos. But that's my musical taste.
    Who are Little Mixture?

Glastonbury used to be more rock orientated. I can understand having a more popular music guest list as it opens up to a wider audience and gives it's current humungous commercial appeal.
    Reading used to be rock festival too, but that's evolved into popular music festival.
    Oh well there's always Download, Ramblin Man and Steelhouse for us dinosaur rockers.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.