Frame Repair or Replacement?

2»

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think you have done OK. While there may be a lifetime warranty on the frame, that does not extend to other parts of the bike, so I think they have done what they had to do. Considering that you started by thinking you would have to buy any replacement bike/frame, thats not a bad result.

Looking at pics of the 40D online, it looks like a black fork but with a blue flash on it. The blue flash that doesnt match might only be a sticker? Not sure. I dont think black forks with a coloured frame is a problem - personally I would prefer that as the coloured forks look naff and would be harder to sell if you ever swapped in a better fork. If you cant get it off, you might be able to put another sticker over it and hide it if it bothers you? Looking at the condition of the bike at the start of this thread though, I cant see that you should be too fussed about the cosmetics being 100% perfect.

This might be something you want to consider - getting a better fork while you are having someone build the bike at somebody else's cost already. Would save you the labour cost if its something you might do in the future anyway. And at 3 years, your forks might be due a service or replacement anyway...

And if you make a fuss, there is the (unlikely as I think they are bound by the warranty) possibility that they would withdraw the current offer.
  • DarCom
    DarCom Posts: 20
    apreading wrote:
    I think you have done OK. While there may be a lifetime warranty on the frame, that does not extend to other parts of the bike, so I think they have done what they had to do. Considering that you started by thinking you would have to buy any replacement bike/frame, thats not a bad result.

Looking at pics of the 40D online, it looks like a black fork but with a blue flash on it. The blue flash that doesnt match might only be a sticker? Not sure. I dont think black forks with a coloured frame is a problem - personally I would prefer that as the coloured forks look naff and would be harder to sell if you ever swapped in a better fork. If you cant get it off, you might be able to put another sticker over it and hide it if it bothers you? Looking at the condition of the bike at the start of this thread though, I cant see that you should be too fussed about the cosmetics being 100% perfect.

This might be something you want to consider - getting a better fork while you are having someone build the bike at somebody else's cost already. Would save you the labour cost if its something you might do in the future anyway. And at 3 years, your forks might be due a service or replacement anyway...

And if you make a fuss, there is the (unlikely as I think they are bound by the warranty) possibility that they would withdraw the current offer.

Firstly, thank you very much for this constructive feedback.

I also think it's OK. This is definitely an extremely positive outcome considering my starting morale and expectations.

It is indeed a sticker and I do agree with you after thinking about it that fork looks rather better when it's of a contrast colour. I agree that given the starting point, fussing about the cosmetics is rather an attempt to get another icing on the cake on top of existing one.

In regards to building part, I think that if I show them a receipt which states everything that's been done, getting another fork can be categorized as something which is off subject (I think they will only cover expenditure involved with actual frame placement, but I do have a way around that.)

To conclude; They've done what they were obligated to get done, no more no less given the options, and as well as that I'm being offered additional extras and an opportunity to perform bike rehab at tredz cost. - therefore I'm taking this offer with utmost gratitude.

Of course they could have shoved fork in there, given that it's a different colour (but if colour is not an obligation in frame replacement, this renders them immune in all ways from providing it).

I''ll email tredz to proceed with delivery of everything that they have described to me and getting back on my back as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone for your contribution thus far to this issue.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I didnt mean get them to pay for the new fork. I meant that part of the work of building your bike will involve taking the fork off the old frame and fitting it to the new one. The person building it wont care if they fit a new fork you bought on the internet or the one off your old bike. The receipt for the work will not make any mention of it I would have thought.

So if you have any thoughts about upgrading the fork in the future now is the time to do it because you will only need to buy the parts, not pay for someone to fit it.