Dazed, Heavy and Confused

ricky_lodge
ricky_lodge Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all, this is my first post and I am looking for some much needed help.

I am going to join the "Cycle To Work" scheme through my employer which will give me £1,000 to spend on the bike and accessories and I am looking for recommendations on my first bike purchase.

I'd like for it to be comfortable on a work commute but able to handle bike trails on the weekend for solo rides and trips out with the kids. I have decided to take this up as a hobby as I would love to lose weight. I'm a heavy guy around the 22st mark and so am looking for recommendations on makes or models of bikes that would suit my needs.

Thank you

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Might be good to know if you have any restrictions on where you can and cannot use the voucher - some schemes specify certain dealers, whereas others give you much more scope to choose retailer. For example my employer switched from 'Cyclescheme' to 'Cycle Solutions', which meant a smaller choice.
    I think the type of bike you may want is something with a 'relaxed' or 'sportive' geometry - basically something that means you have a more upright position, rather than something more 'racy'. Secondly you might need something with good clearance for larger tyres, given you will go off road. Thirdly, something with wheels that have a higher spoke count (as opposed to lightweight wheels, which will have some weight restrictions).
    Then you'll need to decide what frame material you want. Aluminium is the most common at this price point, but there are more and more carbon frames that fall under the £1k mark. Steel would also be an option.
    Then do you want rim brakes, or do you want disc brakes - at the £1k mark you will probably struggle to find a drop-handlebar bike with hydraulic brakes, so cable disc brakes will be more common. It seems that if you get a hybrid (ie flat bars), then hydro brakes are much more common at lower price points.

Then, having decided what type of bike you want, it will narrow the choice down somewhat. Although the choice is still huge!
  • Might be good to know if you have any restrictions on where you can and cannot use the voucher - some schemes specify certain dealers, whereas others give you much more scope to choose retailer. For example my employer switched from 'Cyclescheme' to 'Cycle Solutions', which meant a smaller choice.
    I think the type of bike you may want is something with a 'relaxed' or 'sportive' geometry - basically something that means you have a more upright position, rather than something more 'racy'. Secondly you might need something with good clearance for larger tyres, given you will go off road. Thirdly, something with wheels that have a higher spoke count (as opposed to lightweight wheels, which will have some weight restrictions).
    Then you'll need to decide what frame material you want. Aluminium is the most common at this price point, but there are more and more carbon frames that fall under the £1k mark. Steel would also be an option.
    Then do you want rim brakes, or do you want disc brakes - at the £1k mark you will probably struggle to find a drop-handlebar bike with hydraulic brakes, so cable disc brakes will be more common. It seems that if you get a hybrid (ie flat bars), then hydro brakes are much more common at lower price points.

Then, having decided what type of bike you want, it will narrow the choice down somewhat. Although the choice is still huge!

I was looking at buying through Evans Cycles which are included through the scheme and seem to have a pretty comprehensive selection.
    In regards to choices and needs I am open to any suggestions and any restrictions I could face due to my current weight and if there are any types or manufacturers that may be best suited to my needs.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Sounds like you need a cyclocross bike with a pretty slick centre tyre tread.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 on the cyclocross bike. If I had to have just one bike in the garage it'd be that. 99% as good on road as a proper road bike - just swap the tyres over.

Cycling alone won't make you lose weight - you still have to diet. The good thing is that you have an incentive to lose weight now - you'll be faster and faster with less bulk.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Do you want drop bars or straight bars?

Drop bars then as above I would look at a cyclocross bike, these are designed for off road use but have drop handlebars. They will take a wider tyre, disc brakes and generally the construction will be a bit more robust (including the wheels) For £1,000 ish you'll be looking at an aluminium frame.

Something like this would do the job nicely https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-threshold-a-tiagra-2017-cyclocross-bike-EV277747

Norco have been around for years making mountain bikes and have a pretty good rep. The specification is not too bad, some shimano components on the drivetrain. Disc brakes (cable not hydraulic) which will give you better stopping power in the wet/mud. Thru axles which was always mountain bike only but seems to be finding it's way onto some road bikes and certainly on cx bikes

Evans also had a Cube Cyclocross bike for around a grand but i can't see it on their website. Nice looking bike
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Why not look at an adventure bike. Evans have a specialized diverge for £900 which will leave £100 for some equipment.
    The diverge would be much nicer on the roads.

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-diverge-sport-2017-adventure-road-bike-EV279848

weight limits
    https://media.specialized.com/support/0000057489/0000057489.pdf
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I have a mate in similar position to you,in what bike he want's,and i came across these two

the Jamis has a steel frame and carbon fork
    https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-reneg ... e-EV275250

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s194p ... S-500-2016