Evans cycles good experience

Redbaron1
Redbaron1 Posts: 116
edited July 2017 in Campaign
Went in, looked at stuff, friendly staff member who knew a bit about bikes. Bought some inner tubes. Went home, inner tubes fine.

Good job Evans

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Same here. Went in about six months ago to buy inner tubes. Saw a Timbuktoo courier style bag for sale so bought that an all. Didn't even need a carrier bag for the inner tubes!

Inner tubes were perfect.

Thanks Evans
  • I've always had good experiences at Evans. They've even lent me tools in the past and when they didn't work nipped up my BB for me while I waited for no charge. The fact they don't come in and purposefully undercut local shops (they'll price match but you have to ask) appeals to me too. I'll always use my local shops over them but if I need something and happen to be close by I'm happy to pop in and give them my custom.
  • I should add, I've never had a negative experience in any bike shop when I've actually gone there. I read the Evans bad experiences thread that I'm guessing this one was set up because of and noted most (if not all?) of the complaints were from people buying online. I've had problems with everyone from CRC, Wiggle, Rapha, Vulpine etc. when ordering online (some bigger than others). Moral of the story, support your LBS!
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Evans cycles rock. sorted me out a great deal last year . check out their ex display sections on website.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just made a warranty claim on a broken Fuji frame with them, nearly four year old bike.

Replacement frameset is in my hands today, exactly a fortnight since I logged the issue online.

You can't say fairer than that really!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Never had a bad one with Evans over the years: really good set up.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • JakeJ
    JakeJ Posts: 151
    I bought some carbon wheels with evans, online I might add, felt and looked great, but then on closer inspection when changing an innertube there was a small crack in them, looked like a manufacture fault, called Evans for replacement, the same wheels were out of stock and they offered me any wheel set at the same price of up to £100 more expensive, annoyingly the more expensive wheels I found were also out of stock so I'm just waiting for replacement of my wheels.

Only downside is, I booked in for my cracked wheels to be collected on wednesday (I called them monday), so I rushed home and waited around all evening only for no one to turn up, when I phoned them again yesterday morning, the lady told me that nothing had been booked in..

So now they're being collected today, the replacement wheels come back in stock on sunday, hopefully with me monday/tuesday, if early enough tuesday I'll still make it in time for club ride! :wink:

Overall experience.. 6/10.
  • JakeJ
    JakeJ Posts: 151
    Update on this;

Evans said my wheels would be back in stock on 25/06..

They weren't, the date changed on the 25th to 02/07..

I said well what happens if it gets to the 2nd and the date changes again, the guy said he'd chase the supplier and get back to me..

He didn't, so I went back on the site in search for a different set of wheels that they DID have in stock..

I found a set of Zipp 404's but they were about £200 more expensive than my Mavics, so I asked if I could have them instead as I can't really wait for the Mavics to come back in stock, especially when they can't even tell me when they are..

They gave me the Zipp's for no extra charge and should be sitting at my house as I type this out now..

Now just to find some tyres for them...
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    They are a LBS done well. The one in KX/St Pancreas London is superb. Friendly service, mechanics eager to help and solve any problems, good value and free secure bike parking.

Can't ask for more.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I dont really see any difference between Evans and an LBS. There are some good staff and some bad staff. They generally try to be helpful but sometimes get things wrong, sometimes things go wrong on a bike for which they are not at fault.

I have a love/hate with my LBS who has some great staff but 1 real ignorant snob and 1 mechanic who is a junior and doesnt always do a job properly (I have had mudguards put on wrong and gears not indexed properly on different occasions) and their booking system for servicing isnt great. Their range of bikes is good but their range of accessories and clothes are poor.

My local Evans has a great range, staff have always been really helpful but when my son snapper the hanger on his bike the mechanic we asked told us that we would need a new chain and derailleur too - so a tenner for a hanger online, fitted myself and job done. They can also get practically any bike in for a demo from any manufacturer which LBS cant do.

I dont see any difference personally, except that Evans prices are often better than LBS for some items largely because they try to be 'reasonably' competitive with online retailers while LBS doesnt bother.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I used to have an FW Evans lightweight tourer with Suntour XCD. My first real bike, loved it, wish I hadn't given it away when I emigrated now. I remember the old boy in the shop made me feel like he'd made it himself and didn't actually want to sell it.