Cube Attain Pro v. SL?

mr.johnrob
mr.johnrob Posts: 4
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hey folks

Would someone happen to know the difference between these bikes (I'm trying to figure out why the Pro is only £100 cheaper despite having a 105 while the SL has Ultegra (or is that the only difference?)).

SL: https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-2017-road-bike-EV287834
Pro: https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-2017-road-bike-EV287832

Comments

• davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    The SL appears to have DT Swiss wheelset also. These are their budget wheel though, not convinced they are significantly lighter or better than the Fulcrums having read the review below.

http://road.cc/content/review/152949-dt-swiss-r24-spline-db-wheelset

Attain is a great bike though, I have the GTC Pro Disc, very pleased with it
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Thanks for the reply.

So are you saying the Pro has the better wheelset? In which case, would you choose a better wheelset over a better groupset?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    It is 280 grams.
    I have a bike with 105 groupset and and one with ultegra. If you swapped them over in a blind test I could not tell one from the other. I have three sets of wheels. The dearest more than twice the price of the cheapest and guess what? I can not tell one from the other.
    For £100 get the one with ultegra - when you sell the bike you will more than get your money back.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    mr.johnrob wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

So are you saying the Pro has the better wheelset? In which case, would you choose a better wheelset over a better groupset?

Drivetrain components would ordinarily need replacing long before bits like the frame, disc wheelsets, hydraulic brakes etc.

Given that both 105 and Ultegra are both 11-speed, better wheels are worth having over the better drivetrain IMO.

Now I couldn't tell you which wheelset is better, but I can tell you that my Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016 is the best road bike I've ever owned, better than than my 2006 Felt F5C that found a new home yesterday and my 1997 Principia RSL. The insanely high stack and short reach on the 58cm frame is great for my lower back, which I injured quite badly in 2008, pretty much resulting in my aggressively low front ended 54cm Felt gathering dust for the best part of ~9 years.

Being able to do 20-50 mile rides again on a road bike in the last ~6 weeks, for the first time since before my 2008 injury, has been great! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    mr.johnrob wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

Maybe marginally better but not a lot in it. £100 for the effective upgrade to Ultegra transmission groupset is actually about right.

I would probably go for the SL if i were in your position, stealthy black paintjob is sweet

Make sure you sit on one to try for sizing, cube sizing seems to come up a little bit smaller than some brands
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Thanks everybody! Super helpful comments, really appreciate it :)