New tyres for 29er Trail Bike

equinefunk
equinefunk Posts: 323
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to replace either one or both of my tyres on my 29er 120mm travel bike. Currently it has a high roller 2 on the front and an ardent on the rear.
The high roller is damaged and needs replacing. So I was thinking of putting the ardent on the front and an ardent race on the rear or change completely.

The high roller is maybe a bit too much tyre.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I mainly ride trail not too extreme.

Thanks
I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Specialized Purgatory front and rear on my 29er, could go for a Ground Control on the rear in the summer as it's a bit faster rolling. Cheap at £20 (might be bit more now)
  • equinefunk
    Thanks I looked at that combination...I first choice would be only to buy 1 tyre. What about purgatory upfront and ardent on the rear?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Purgatory is good up front, never had Ardent so can't comment.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ardent front and Ardent race rear is a decent summer combo but I wouldn't use it in winter unless where you ride has very little in the way of mud.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    I switched from Nobby to Rock Razor recently. Done 100 miles on them and so far extremely impressed, running them at quite a high pressure (30psi front, 40 rear) due to long XC trips,the grip is on par or better than the Nobbys, I have more confidence in hard corners, I am sure they will suffer in the mud, but summers hear are pretty dry here. Rolling resistance is superb as expect.
    I wanted something like the Racing Ralphs but with a more bite in turns.
    Maybe something for you to consider, there aren't many reviews online though.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • equinefunk
    Plasma_man wrote:
    I switched from Nobby to Rock Razor recently. Done 100 miles on them and so far extremely impressed, running them at quite a high pressure (30psi front, 40 rear) due to long XC trips,the grip is on par or better than the Nobbys, I have more confidence in hard corners, I am sure they will suffer in the mud, but summers hear are pretty dry here. Rolling resistance is superb as expect.
    I wanted something like the Racing Ralphs but with a more bite in turns.
    Maybe something for you to consider, there aren't many reviews online though.
    Thanks someone else has recommended the Rock Razor and my LBS suggested moving the Ardent to the front running an Ikon on the rear. Guess I just need to buy one and give it a go