Stop Off Point In France

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,217
edited July 2017 in The cake stop
I've just booked a camping trip in Domme on the Dordogne in August. The intention was to drive down from Dover on the Saturday with possibly a one night stopover but we couldn't book into the camp site until the following Tuesday so we can either have a shorter trip following the original plan or have three nights somewhere en route. Can anyone suggest a suitable place to stop for a family of 3 (14 year old daughter)? I'd considered Brittany or Normandy but it would be a bit of a detour, Limoges but that's a bit close to the final destination and Bourges but unsure if there's enough to occupy us for three days.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Poitiers as far as I remember is worth a visit, part of the very old English empire.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    We stayed in Chartres on the way back last year, similar journey. Lovely city, good family friendly restaurants.

If you're looping east Reims is a good bet.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Near the Puy du Fou theme park? It's not a uk thrill rides type theme park you watch little plays - hard to explain but you could easily spend 2 days there - you can barely rush round everything in one - and we thought it was really good and our youngest were 14 I think.

When I say little plays I'm probably under selling it a bit! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tddUjg6DlTU
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Near the Puy du Fou theme park? It's not a uk thrill rides type theme park you watch little plays - hard to explain but you could easily spend 2 days there - you can barely rush round everything in one - and we thought it was really good and our youngest were 14 I think.

When I say little plays I'm probably under selling it a bit! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tddUjg6DlTU

Paris?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Tours is lovely for a day or two.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    A friend has stopped overnight in Troyes a couple of times, and says it's amazing - lots of half-timbered houses.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Somwhere in the Loire valley... Saumur to name one... plenty of fairy tale castles to visit

PS: Tours is not that lovely and Troyes isn't either
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Ha ok
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Please remember if driving through Paris (and a couple of other French cities) you will need to display the new Emission Sticker or face a fine.
  • Pross
    Thanks everyone, somewhere in the Loire is looking favourite. I would have gone to Paris but we had a few days there last year and my daughter is going there next week.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Somwhere in the Loire valley... Saumur to name one... plenty of fairy tale castles to visit

PS: Tours is not that lovely and Troyes isn't either
    I must admit that, other than the dish of rabbit I ate in Tours, I wasn't overly impressed. And thanks for the info on Troyes - maybe it's just a small part that impressed my friend.
  • Pross
    I managed to book a room in a chateau near Saumur at a good price in the end. Should be a nice surprise for the wife and daughter.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Pross wrote:
    I managed to book a room in a chateau near Saumur at a good price in the end. Should be a nice surprise for the wife and daughter.

Gonna be very nice... the various wine producers caves are worth a visit, as well as stocking up on wine, if you can keep it cool for the rest of the journey. I find Ackerman's bubbly as good as Champagne and at 6 Euro a bottle is a total bargain.

Among the castles, Villadry is my favourite for the gardens, but if you have kids, you have to go to Usse ... sleeping beauty and all of that
    left the forum March 2023
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Please remember if driving through Paris (and a couple of other French cities) you will need to display the new Emission Sticker or face a fine.

Does this apply if you are just skirting round the peripherique at 1 in the morning? My usual route south takes me that way
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930

Does this apply if you are just skirting round the peripherique at 1 in the morning? My usual route south takes me that way

The best time to drive the dreaded P Dave!

Not sure how far out of town it goes, info here

https://www.autovolo.co.uk/latest-news/ ... 7QodCVgPvg

Appears to be only during certain hours so you should be fine

http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countr ... ance/paris
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Thanks
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    We ve stopped of in the vendee enroute back from Pyrenees right now ! great food beaches etc but where you ve booked is great too.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Good choice in destination :wink:

We are there as soon as the rugrats finish school
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Another vote for Saumur. Cycled along the Loire from Nantes a couple of years ago and had a fabulous week there. Lovely town, good restaurants and plenty to do and see
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431

Does this apply if you are just skirting round the peripherique at 1 in the morning? My usual route south takes me that way[/quote

I've got one of those windscreen stickers for my camper van stating what emissions class it is in. You obtain them online for a small fee via https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

You are fine to use the Paris peripherique at any time without one. But if you venture inside the outer ring you can be fined if you don't have one. Lyon also has the same clean air rules in the city itself but you are OK to use the A6 motorway route through the city alongside the Rhone. The problem city is Grenoble where you must display the sticker even on the motorway through routes A51/48/41.

More French cities are due to introduce the same rules. I felt it was worthwhile to obtain the Crit'air vignette as I drive in France a fair bit and often go home via Grenoble.
  • Pross
    The Tour literally went passed the entrance to my campsite yesterday. Why can't they change the dates to be in the school holidays? :(
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Pross wrote:
    The Tour literally went passed the entrance to my campsite yesterday. Why can't they change the dates to be in the school holidays? :(

Yep :(
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Pross wrote:

I don't have kids,but the company I work for has a shut down in the first 2 weeks of August,I tend to think the same would defo go more to see it in different areas of France and not just the alps
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    We're off at the end of August, just north of La Rochelle. Opening two weekends of the Top14 so was planning a trip to watch the rugby - slight problem being Stade R are away for their first two games.....
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Loire valley, Lot, round there. Rocamadour is fun, bit touristy. Sarlat nice.

It's just a hill. Get over it.