Celebrity endorsements do they work for you?

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited July 2017 in The cake stop
just reading the guardian (apologies to daily mail readers) and up pops an advert for a swiss watch with a certain Mr Beckham and it got me thinking about 'celebrity' endorsements. The association of any product featuring Mr B would have me steering well clear.
Has anyone with a choice of similar products ever been swayed to buy or otherwise by a celeb endorsement?
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    No.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    For the majority of my cricket career I used Gray Nicolls bats and equipment because David Gower did.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Absofuckinglutely no way. Quite the opposite in fact.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    narbs wrote:
    For the majority of my cricket career I used Gray Nicolls bats and equipment because David Gower did.

I bought an Ornot bar bag because of celebrity endorsement.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    opposite for me as well ..... I wanted a new frying pan at the weekend .... ended up paying more for one without Raymond blanc written on the handle .... same sodding material as well, but cant be dealing with celeb bolox
  • bianchimoon
    Dinyull wrote:

hmm me too, the lowest form of advertising!
    On the other hand if i see a pro using some kit they haven't been paid to endorse, that would sway me I think
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only if she has big tits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited June 2017
    There's probably more people that have bought stuff due to celebrity endorsements than realise they have. If it didn't work, companies wouldn't bother - including all the bike companies.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bianchimoon
    fat daddy wrote:
    opposite for me as well ..... I wanted a new frying pan at the weekend .... ended up paying more for one without Raymond blanc written on the handle .... same sodding material as well, but cant be dealing with celeb bolox
    Wife bought a Jamie Oliver pair of cooking tongs, lasted about 6 weeks, company wouldn't replace without a lot of hassle, questions on how we'd used em etc.. cheap tat, bought some from some cheap high st store a few months back for a couple of quid and they're infinitely better made than the celeb chef ones
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Probably not because of direct endorsement, but potentially because of its greater exposure.
    Having said that as a youth GK I always wanted Reusch gloves as it's what Schmiechel wore - never got them though :x
  • meanredspider
    There's probably a difference between buying something endorsed by a celebrity and using something because that's what a celebrity uses. For instance, I bought a Telecaster because that's what my favourite guitarists used not because an artist appeared in an ad for Fender.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    narbs wrote:

I bought an Ornot bar bag because of celebrity endorsement.

:D
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    There's probably a difference between buying something endorsed by a celebrity and using something because that's what a celebrity uses. For instance, I bought a Telecaster because that's what my favourite guitarists used not because an artist appeared in an ad for Fender.
    Although these days often they amount to the same thing as artists/sportspeople are endorsed to use the products knowing that it will feature in any coverage - stealth advertising
  • meanredspider
    Tashman wrote:
    Although these days often they amount to the same thing as artists/sportspeople are endorsed to use the products knowing that it will feature in any coverage - stealth advertising

Absolutely - which is why people who are so sure they never have are a lot more sure than me.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    I really want an extractor fan that works by dragging the smoke downwards away from my burning food. Can't work out why.
  • meanredspider
    I really want an extractor fan that works by dragging the smoke downwards away from my burning food. Can't work out why.

I keep washing my hair in Castrol GTX - I can't work out why either
  • dinyull
    I really want an extractor fan that works by dragging the smoke downwards away from my burning Sidi's. Can't work out why.

FTFY
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Dinyull wrote:
    I tend to view them this way, but saying that I think MRS has a point and they must work well enough that companies will still do it.
  • dinyull
    Oh, absolutely.

I remember back when Beckham was still playing and I'd turn up to play football with people who had his boots and training kit....then after getting showered and changed would be using brylcreem to style their hair exactly like the man himself.

I also work with a couple of lads who claim to be into whiskey...and have bought Haig quite simply because Beckham endorsed it.

I think for as many people like me, there are probably more on the opposite spectrum.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    I tend to view them this way, but saying that I think MRS has a point and they must work well enough that companies will still do it.

Yeah - I like to think I'm immune (as I'm sure most of us do) but there must be someone falling for it and it's not as if it's just cheap branded clothes or modest cars that are endorsed: often it's the expensive "aspirational" stuff like high-end watches that the celebs endorse.
  • bianchimoon
    makes me cringe a little to see wiggins in his skoda, and as for beckham whiskey I can think of other more apt drinks he could advertise
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Yeah - I like to think I'm immune (as I'm sure most of us do) but there must be someone falling for it.

I think "falling" for it is probably a harsh word, they might be swayed by the advertising but I am sure that most people know its happening to some degree ... but do they care ? ...... considering we live in a celebrity culture, where aspirational roles are the Media promoted Atheletes, actors, actresses, musicians, pop stars, socialites, hell even bloggers. the majority of people want to be like the person they most aspire to be. .... they will buy what that person is wearing/driving/playing with, in order to be like them .... they do so consciously and with intent
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    often it's the expensive "aspirational" stuff like high-end watches that the celebs endorse.

This is the stuff I really don't get. "George Clooney looks good when we pay him to wear this watch - you should buy one."

And who thought this endorsement was a good fit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmiTnndew8
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Recognition of a face elicits an emotional response, whether you know the person or not the response is the same, emotional response is the direct selling technique of advertising to create a reaction to a particular intrapsychic feeling, accompanied by physiological changes that may or may not be outwardly manifested but that motivate or precipitate some action or behavioral response, no one wants you to make detached decisions based on actual facts.

Or

Celebrity endorsements are aimed at the young more than you lot 'ere cos you is all emotionally stunted.

*Some of the above is true :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    makes me cringe a little to see wiggins in his skoda, and as for beckham whiskey I can think of other more apt drinks he could advertise
    I was given a taste of that whisky by a fawning muppet.
    Absolute sheeite. Worth about £8/bottle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I was given a taste of that whisky by a fawning muppet.
    Absolute sheeite. Worth about £8/bottle.
    Saw a review the other day made me chuckle
    "Blend it like Beckham"
    Bringing in a celebrity to draw attention to single grain is no bad thing, as far as I’m concerned. But what of Beckham’s whisky itself? Bottled at 40% ABV, and priced at £45, is this liquid best consumed or slapped on the face after shaving?

Colour: deep copper. On the nose: A lot of dairy flavours coming through: a very creamy brie, a little evaporated milk perhaps, but then some curious agricultural and brackish notes. A bit weird, but not entirely unpleasant. Vanilla, then more like a freshly unwrapped Werther’s Original. A whiff of burnt matches in the distance.

In the mouth: … I’m sure some flavours will come along shortly… Nothing really. Some very faint yeasty, doughy notes – not unlike champagne, but a glass that’s been left out in the sun too long. A little caramel perhaps, but that’s it. This is probably the blandest whisky I’ve tasted in a long while. You can honestly get cheaper blends with far more flavour.
  • meanredspider
    This is probably the blandest whisky I’ve tasted in a long while. You can honestly get cheaper blends with far more flavour.

And this is probably the truth. It's a whisky for people that don't like whisky.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I'd say they don't work for me and in the case of Gillette they had the opposite effect, after Beckham and then Henry, Federer and Woods I made a bit more effort to ensure I wasn't spending money on their over-priced razors.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Every time Kate or George wear anything, it seems, the item in question immediately sells out, and so does anything that resembles it. So I think we have to conclude that celebrities are able to influence purchasing. I'm not in that target demographic, but I'm sure I've fallen into the same trap regarding something worn or used by someone I admire.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    If Jeff Brown endorsed double glazing i might do,but only if i got one free in the deal.Also maybe anything sold by Bixby Snyder,but once again this time i would be willing to spend up to one dollar,no more.

As for Steve Cram i don't know where to Start.