Costs of importing a 4iii Power Meter

baroid
baroid Posts: 87
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi
I am thinking of buying a 4iii Precision Pro Dual Sided power meter and the cost is approximately £590. I am trying to estimate the other costs involved as it will be imported in from Canada. Will VAT be charged on the full amount, what will the import duty be and how much do the agents charge for clearing customs? I would be gratefully on any help with these charges.

Has anyone actually done this.

Keep pedalling
Phil

Comments

• Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Or use a calculator: https://www.dutycalculator.com

Sure things: Import VAT @ 20%, handling fee by courier (range from 1.5% to £30 depending on the courier)

Potential: Import Duty (duty & VAT are cumulative - you pay VAT on duty (or vice versa, immaterial really the total at the end is the same)
  • baroid
    Thanks for the replies. I see the cost as £590 = $123 postage = £77 for VAT and clear customs so about £764.

Can I get anything cheaper for left/right measurement.

Still want to use Shimano pedals.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Baroid wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I see the cost as £590 = $123 postage = £77 for VAT and clear customs so about £764.

Can I get anything cheaper for left/right measurement.

Still want to use Shimano pedals.

If you're on a budget why not order a single sided 4iiii for the time being and add the crank side later?

Unless you know you have a power imbalance between legs single sided is more than adequate for 99% of riders.
  • baroid
    Hi redvision

I have my left leg built up with 9 mm of shims and believe this is my weakest leg so a power meter that measures just left leg wouldn't help me much.

Maybe I could go to a spider system which at least measures total power.
  • paul_onabike
    paul_onabike Posts: 194
    the £590 cost is if you send them a Dura Ace crankset to fit it to, otherwise it is £1200. Vat is charged on both the goods and shipping charges, plus there are import duties and customs charges. I think if you supplied the crankset it would cost you more than £1000 in reality. Why not look at something like Power2Max. They give you an estimated L-R split and total power output. Another is the Quark DZero
  • baroid
    Thanks Paul Onabike.

What is putting me off the 4iii power meter is the uncertainly of the exact price.

I have looked at the Power2Max and Quark DZero but will look again, there is also FSA Powerbox.

Although they don’t meet my criteria of shimano cleats I am looking at a second hand pair of powertap pedals or the new be-pro ones.

What about Wateam?

Cheers
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Can't you just buy one from a UK retailer?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Ignore
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.