Lightweight easily packable Gilet

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

realised at the the weekend that I have a hole in my wardrobe.

I have two heavier duty Gilets, a Perfetto, and a Galibier foul weather one, but nothing for when I go out on an early ride, and just need something to keep the chill off, until both I, and the weather have warmed up. and I can stuff it in a jersey back pocket.

Just had a quick look - do I need to look any further than the Sportful Hotpack 5?

Was also rather tempted by this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ale-crossover-capitano-gilet/ - as I love the jersey equivalent, but it is about £25 more than the Sportful.

Any other better alternatives out there?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Isn't there a Decathlon/ BTWIN one for about a tenner
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I think this one is still the best for summer
    https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Sport ... -Vest/34JQ
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I've got the £15 Decathlon one referred to earlier.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-ultrali ... 03725.html
    http://road.cc/content/review/116701-bt ... -gilet-700

I also know people who own the Hotpack and have compared - and it's a virtual carbon copy. It packs ridiculously small so you can easily stuff it and a set of arm warmers in the same pocket. The only negative for me is that it doesn't size as small as the Hotpack. I take a small, and it's very slightly loose around the shoulders so makes a bit of flapping noise at high speeds. If you're a bit larger than me (5ft7 and 65kgs) then I doubt that would be an issue.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Hi Daniel, the ale gilet looks perfect, great colours, I am now thinking I really need it :)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    You won't go far wrong with the Hotpack 5.
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou all very much for the replies.

@Super_davo - that's REALLY useful, as I am pretty much the same weight as you, and aiming to get slightly lighter, so that sadly rules out the bargainous one :-(
    I had the same issue with a Montane one I used to have, small was the smallest size, but that was way too large.

@Lincolndave - I agree completely, I am sure you need it!

Liking the look, if not overly the colour of the superlight one too.

As a result, I have ordered one of each, and will see which one fulfills the role best :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have recently bought one of these - got a discount from Morvelo for some reason or another. Wiggle do them for less if you have discounted prices with them.

https://www.morvelo.com/kriss-kross-hem ... gilet.html

It's a well fitting gilet, allegedly water resistant (but not had to test this too much so far). Good for the cooler commuting mornings, and the best thing is the three pockets at the back, plus zipped compartment, which means not having a bulge underneath and everything is readily to hand without having to get underneath. It will also pack away with not too much of a squeeze.They also have a stealth black version or a hi-viz version.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The DHB orange one is all you need. Folds down very small and is nice and cheap and bright. I've been using it for the Spring rides that start off a bit cool or turn for the worse.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Daniel B wrote:
    Evening all,

Dan, I'd prioritise fixing that hole in your wardrobe, before anyone else makes off with more of your extensive gear stash! :wink:

Mavic Altium gilet works for me. Windproof, packs tiny. Would prob go Sportful Hotpack now if had to replace....otherwise just use the Raffica jersey you bought. Haven't used a gilet since I got mine.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    Galibier have an ultra-light summer gilet - VentUltra, 59g, packs to almost nothing. Nicely made, well fitting thanks to stretchy side panels. Got mine on a pre-order special of £27, they're now £36 delivered.
  • Daniel B wrote:

Just had a quick look - do I need to look any further than the Sportful Hotpack 5?

Any other better alternatives out there?

The Hotpack ultralight is the one to be with.
    Just 39 grams and it packs down so small that you can store it in a valve cap.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • daniel_b
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Evening all,

Dan, I'd prioritise fixing that hole in your wardrobe, before anyone else makes off with more of your extensive gear stash! :wink:

Mavic Altium gilet works for me. Windproof, packs tiny. Would prob go Sportful Hotpack now if had to replace....otherwise just use the Raffica jersey you bought. Haven't used a gilet since I got mine.

aha, a valid point!

Well all 3 are winging their way to me, expected to arrive tomorrow.

BTW, the Sport Pursuit order arrived in double quick time, and I was very happy with everything I ordered, the two camelbak things, a couple of pairs of travel trouser things, and a pair of sandal things - all to be used on the upcoming holiday.
    Very impressed, and may well use them again.
    @Horizon
    Yes I did have a look at the Galibier gilet, and I'm sure it's good, but it didn't make me want to buy it - shallow I know, but there we go.

@CharlieP
    I will be interested to see what it is like, I have a sneaking and hopeful suspicion that the Ale offering will be of a similar composition, but time will tell.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    If you like brands then the sportful fiandre light is good and packs small.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-faindr ... 60769532uk
  • daniel_b
    Singleton wrote:
    If you like brands then the sportful fiandre light is good and packs small.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-faindr ... 60769532uk

Thanks for that, I do like Sportful as it happens, and have the equivalent SS jersey - however I think my perfetto and Galibier gilets kind of cover the areas this one is designed for.

I also had a chuckle that Wiggle have misspelt it as Faindre, as opposed to Fiandre :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    So they all arrived today.

The superlight is indeed very superlight, but I wasn't that taken with it, but can see it has it's niche - good fit though, but as expected super thin.

The hot pack was very nice, lighter than I anticipated at about 70g, same kind of material front and back, very good fit, except the collar was a little roomy - this was a size small, and I've decided to keep it. Green is nicer than the press pics too.
    Tempted to try the XS, but think this is probably satisfactory.

Ale Gilet is REALLY nice, weight is about 120g (Small), but the difference here is more of a substantial windblocker front, and a very airy back panel to let the heat out - fit was sublime (More fitted than the sportful), just like the jersey, so that had to be a keeper too :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18