Dented down tube

Punntz
Punntz Posts: 14
edited June 2017 in MTB general
I wonder if anyone can help. My wife crashed into a maximum height barrier with my MTB on the roof. The bike and roof rack came clean off. The impact was head on the carbon forks, causing scratching but i cant see if anything has compromised their strength. There is also a 7cm dent towards the bottom of the down tube. Would you consider this a write off? Its a £1500 MTB Beone Karma Sport.
Newbie Road Biker and curious MTB'r

Trek 2.1 Alpha Road Bike
Beone Karma 2010 MTB
Claud Butler Chinook Hybrid

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    7cm dent ? without seeing it I'm erring on a write off of the frame.
  • Punntz
    I cant work out how to post the images using my iphone???

Trek 2.1 Alpha Road Bike
    Beone Karma 2010 MTB
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have to use an external host like tinypic or photobucket.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Punntz
    Just an update. The frame was indeed a write off as there was a visible crack in the alloy where the dent ended. Meanwhile, the car has just been written off due to being uneconomical to repair! Its only 3yrs old!!A simple error has caused £11k worth of damage!! :shock:

Trek 2.1 Alpha Road Bike
    Beone Karma 2010 MTB
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A friend's wife hit a barrier with bikes on a bike rack, the roof was partially torn off the body sides, that was 6 months old and a write off, plus the two bikes, back window was gone as well (they taped up the damaged roof joint and back window to drive home from France). the roof rack was OK though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I love how nobody is fessing up to doing it themselves. It's always their wives....

Much prefer my bike in the car - just in case the wife drives us... ;-)