Barclay's Bank

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,199
edited June 2017 in The cake stop
Can someone please explain what that fiasco is all about?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    So they gave money to Qatar Holdings for them to buy Barclay's shares to keep Barclay's share prices up and included a £330m sweetener.
    Clever but dodgy.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    ten after the alledged crime they bring charges.

I wonder how much more bad news is priced into Barclays current share price.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    I don't imagine the timing is coincidental, given May had planned to shut the SFO down.
  • rick_chasey
    Pinno wrote:
    So they gave money to Qatar Holdings for them to buy Barclay's shares to keep Barclay's share prices up and included a £330m sweetener.
    Clever but dodgy.

So the reasons it's hot stuff is because SFO are accusing the guys of being dishonest, which means it's a criminal charge and a much higher bar of proof to clear.

Otherwise it would have been a big fine from the FCA.

Is also unusual to charge a big bank for criminal activity.
  • pinno
    As a criminal offence, I presume they can prosecute individuals.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes those 4 have criminal charges against them.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Yes those 4 have criminal charges against them.

and facing lengthy jail time which means they won't want to settle which ties Barclays corporate hands
  • pinno
    "Oh! What A Tangled Web We Weave When First We Practice To Deceive"
  • rick_chasey
    Again, my concern would be the timing of this.

It can't be coincidental that the SFO has been banging the drum loudly the past 2 months because of May's plans to shut them down, so I wonder if the case isn't as watertight as it could have been; perhaps it's been brought to a head sooner than ideal.
  • pinno
    What was the reason for wanting to shut the SFO down?! To replace it with something else?
  • rick_chasey
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... es-attack/

Efficiency concerns, mainly.

Oh, and a footnote here: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mark ... a-May.html
    The Conservatives have received a £50,000 donation from a Syrian-born businessman recently questioned by the Serious Fraud Office.
    Ayman Asfari, 58, chief executive of oil services group Petrofac, made the donation this month. His wife Sawsan donated £50,000 to the Tories at the same time.
    Asfari was quizzed by the SFO as part of a probe of Unaoil, a Monaco-based firm accused of corruptly securing contracts. Petrofac used Unaoil for consultancy work in Kazakhstan between 2002 and 2009.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    Pinno wrote:
    Clever but dodgy.

So the reasons it's hot stuff is because SFO are accusing the guys of being dishonest, which means it's a criminal charge and a much higher bar of proof to clear.

Otherwise it would have been a big fine from the FCA.

Is also unusual to charge a big bank for criminal activity.

The FCA does bring criminal charges as well. I have been told that it leads all the complicated cases. This is the problem with the SFO - it is stuck between the police and the FCA, so I guess the argument is that it could be split in two.

That the FCA and SEC have favoured fines rather criminal prosecutions is a great shame. I have been told it is about efficiency, but the complete lack of prosecutions in the last recession is a bit too efficient for me.
  • pinno
    From the link. I like this. Did the SFO boys get sidetracked? I wonder if one of them popped out to the corner shop to get some Corn Flakes and 6 litres of water at some point

"A further embarrassment was the SFO mislaying 32,000 pages of evidence in a 2008 case against BAE Systems, with the documents later being unearthed at a cannabis farm in London."
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Again, my concern would be the timing of this.

It can't be coincidental that the SFO has been banging the drum loudly the past 2 months because of May's plans to shut them down, so I wonder if the case isn't as watertight as it could have been; perhaps it's been brought to a head sooner than ideal.
    Or another example of TM's pisspoor timing and lack of judgement?
    Ecrasez l’infame