Max wheel depth for British Cycling races for seniors

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
edited June 2017 in Amateur race
Been reading to handbook the only depth limit I can see is sub 35mm for juniors. Apart from rules on spoke counts can't see any depth rules.

Any direction on this would be helpful
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    35mm depth restrictions only apply to Youth B (under 14) and below. What depth are you thinking of running?
  • cal_stewart
    60/90
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Well UCI regs state any non traditional wheel needs to be tested and be on the approved list, a traditional wheel is under 25mm, alloy and 20 plus spokes so as far as I am aware your wheels would beed to be on the approved list to be legal.

Now in reality commissaires do not check every wheel for legality and certainly for your average cyclist anything up to 50-60mm is not going to attract comment I wouldn't have thought. I don't know if a 90mm rim would attract attention as I've never raced one that deep and it's been a couple of years since I've road raced at all - I suspect on the rear it'd probably be ok as it's top end of standard and in terms of handling the 60 on the front would have more affect.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The comm will pull up any obvious infringements - I once saw a guy rock up to an evening crit on trispokes front/rear. He ended up having to borrow another guy's spare wheelset before he was allowed to line up.

I've seen 90s in races, but there's no particular advantage in any deep section wheels, assuming we're talking about bunch races...
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Trispokes definitely not allowed. Or disc wheels...

I've seen guys race on 1080s though.
  • cal_stewart
    Cheers for the replies. As you've mentioned there's nothing in the handbook. There on the list so I'll crack on
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS