Tory leadership bid

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited June 2017 in The cake stop
Looks like Boris is making moves to challenge May.

:shock:

If it's anyone else other than Ruth Davidson leading the party then the Torys are goosed. Davidson seems to have the common touch, charisma and ability. More than the entire Tory cabinet, but then that's not saying a lot
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    I like Osborne's comment that Boris is running a permanent leadership campaign, so what's new?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    oxoman wrote:
    Boris should shut up for a change. Whoever is in the position is in for a whole load of shite due to brexit. Best bet is to stay with what we have.
    That would be the sensible thing to do, and probably what TM is banking on. A leadership challenge could out-fox her: who would want to be PM at this moment?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • slowmart
    Challenges/opportunities define individuals.

A politician showing appetite AND ability to get to grips with the steaming pile of shit that's been left would be refreshing on so many levels.

I'm not holding my breath.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    they (the UK) need to find a genuine leader, we ve been without one for at least the last 2 Gov's, its depressing that at this dire moment in our history, folk are saying who would want to be PM.

what on earth would have happened in 1939 if Churchill has said "fuck this, let Chamberlain stay on, who d want to be PM, with all those Germans massing across the channel?"

One thing May has got spot on, is that Brexit will define our economy for decades to come ( if we do actually leave?) so the agreement is crucial and at the moment the tories have made our great country a laughing stock, as someone recently said to me, we look at the UK in the same way you english look at Trump! ie former tory chancellor calls the PM a "dead woman walking" unbelievable!

If May etc dont want to lead (rather than just keep power) then step aside and let Corbyn form a coalition with more moderate Tories/Libs and SNP or preferably, call another election, which actual Theresa would be in the national interest.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    oxoman wrote:
    Boris should shut up for a change. Whoever is in the position is in for a whole load of shite due to brexit. Best bet is to stay with what we have.
    That would be the sensible thing to do, and probably what TM is banking on. A leadership challenge could out-fox her: who would want to be PM at this moment?

Yes, Boris must know taking over now would be in football terms a hospital pass. Especially as he'd have to deliver on his own leave campaign.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Don't underestimate their desire to forever be in the history books. None of them would turn it down because it looks a little difficult.

A new leader would justify another election before the economy hits the buffers
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Don't underestimate their desire to forever be in the history books. None of them would turn it down because it looks a little difficult.

A new leader would justify another election before the economy hits the buffers

I believe the voters would likely punish the Tories for continuing to add to the political turmoil, and forcing everyone to go through another election.

If the UK public values strong leadership and stability, which apparently it does, the Tories have shown indecision on big issues (Scotland, EU) by not making the decision themselves, and the entire Brexit issue they insisted had to happen after their indecision has been made more difficult by their own gambling.

Voters may be stupid, but they're not that stupid, and, in the context of the last 6 weeks, and certainly the last 3 days, it's difficult to see how Corbyn would have been worse than May, and I'm no fan of him at all.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    They need to change their leader, manifesto and approach.

And then figure out how to convince the electorate that changing their leader, manifesto and approach isn't just buying votes.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rick_chasey
    They need to change their leader, manifesto and approach.

And then figure out how to convince the electorate that changing their leader, manifesto and approach isn't just buying votes.

Absolutely.

Though I think they can do this without an election.

It's tricky, but it's not like an election would be any easier.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The big problem they have now is Sinn Fein and the Government of Ireland are having to remind them of their responsibilities under the Good Friday Agreement. My guess is the DUP will eventually have to turn them down leading to another election in the near future. Even with the DUP they have a very unstable grip on government.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    They can rule with 318. DUP don't want anything that might let Corbyn into no. 10.

I don't understand why she needed to mention any agreement.
  • slowmart
    They can rule with 318. DUP don't want anything that might let Corbyn into no. 10.

And yet May still fucked that up. And we are supposed to trust her to deliver Brexit. She'll join Cameron being damned by history.

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Slowmart wrote:

And yet May still farked that up. And we are supposed to trust her to deliver Brexit. She'll join Cameron being damned by history.
    I agree, but here's a thought.
    Who is the last PM to be praised by history?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowmart
    That depends if you wear red, blue or transparent spectacles ;-)

Thatcher maybe and as time goes by her achievements will be better recognised. Then Churchill.

Desmond Tutu
  • rick_chasey
    Yougov polls (which, after all ,were the most accurate this election).

DCACGqbXgAEmdSM.jpg:large

Have to say, love the heat Gove is taking.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Slowmart wrote:
    That depends if you wear red, blue or transparent spectacles ;-)

Thatcher maybe and as time goes by her achievements will be better recognised. Then Churchill.
    So, a lot of muppets over the past 30 years, first one debatable, then 60 years and that is only if you wear blue spectacles. Not inspiring.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    General Election in October me thinks.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Mr Goo wrote:
    General Election in October me thinks.

You can tell Brenda.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    The big problem they have now is Sinn Fein and the Government of Ireland are having to remind them of their responsibilities under the Good Friday Agreement. My guess is the DUP will eventually have to turn them down leading to another election in the near future. Even with the DUP they have a very unstable grip on government.

This is SF putting their oar in because they are upset. After the DUP's poor showing in the Assembly elections they are surprised at their results. Why don't SF do the right thing - they stand, get the votes but then refuse to represent their electorate. Also it has nothing to do with SF no matter how they try to paint it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

DCACGqbXgAEmdSM.jpg:large

You need the control sample around whether May is a good or bad leader.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    oxoman wrote:
    Boris should shut up for a change.
    Apparently he wrote in the Sun this weekend that the Tories won a safe seat from Labour when they hadn't.
    http://www.wrexham.com/news/foreign-sec ... 32714.html
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    TheBigBean wrote:

Didn't ask, but 48% say she should stand down, 38% say she should remain. 71% of Conservative voters think she should stay.

41% say Conservatives would have done much better without her as leader.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    TheBigBean wrote:

Didn't ask, but 48% say she should stand down, 38% say she should remain. 71% of Conservative voters think she should stay.

41% say Conservatives would have done much better without her as leader.

Trying to reconcile all those figures reminds me of yes minister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA
  • rick_chasey
    So there are some formal noises about successors to May, so I would reckon the odds of her lasting the next 6 months are getting longer and longer.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    socrates wrote:

This is SF putting their oar in because they are upset. After the DUP's poor showing in the Assembly elections they are surprised at their results. Why don't SF do the right thing - they stand, get the votes but then refuse to represent their electorate. Also it has nothing to do with SF no matter how they try to paint it.

Well since the NI election in March, Arlene Foster and the DUP have been twiddling their thumbs and failing to form a government. Foster should have resigned when she was forced to call the election. Sinn Fein may have little to do with the Westminster gov't, but they have a duty to protect their position in NI gov't. As it is, there will be deadlock in NI and Westminster. I think May is just playing for time, and every day she postpones another thing exposes her weakness. Eventually the party will get fed up and kick her out. It only requires 7 Tory rebels in a confidence vote to overturn the majority that DUP + Cons can muster.

Hammond gave a fairly robust interview on Marr's show yesterday putting forward his views as opposed to a party line or a series of soundbites. I think he has started his campaign for the leadership.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    oxoman wrote:

Trouble is if you pass up the opportunity who knows if it will come again. Boris isn't young and if the leadership is up for grabs now and he doesn't go for it it's not unlikely the next chance would be at least 5 yeArs away and then only if the Tories have lost the election and are looking at 5 years in opposition.

The truth is May ran a horrendous campaign and still just about won, Boris must back himself to do better, 5 years as PM and then retire while he's still young enough to enjoy life. He doesn't seem like te sort to want to cling to power into advanced age.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    simply can't understand why Boris and Leader can be mentioned in the same breath?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Portillo's view on the leadership race is worth a listen

https://twitter.com/bbcthisweek/status/ ... 5686780929
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    simply can't understand why Boris and Leader can be mentioned in the same breath?

it seems the people who know him (MPs) think he is a twat but if he can get to the last two then the thought is that the Tory Party membership will vote for him in droves as he appears to bring stardust
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Jeremy and Boris, impossible to get a more polarising leadership choice come the next election
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....