Pack free

arix36
arix36 Posts: 67
edited June 2017 in MTB general
Hi guys iam wanting to loose this pack off my back. And was wondering you would recommend me to carry pump and tool wise and how you go about carrying it all

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Bottle cage tool pack and/or some kind of frame/top tube/saddle bag? I carry a tube, levers and a multitool in a small saddle pouch and have a pump mounted to the bottle cage mount. But I do also wear a hydration backpack which also holds extra spares, like a tyre repair kit, another tube, lock and anything else I might need on bigger rides.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • arix36
    Not really wanting to attach anything to my bike apart from maybe an inner tube
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    You don't want to carry a backpack and nothing on the bike? Ummmmm, maybe have it couriered ahead? I'm assuming jersey pockets are out too?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • arix36
    No jersey/shorts pockets are just fine thats what i was looking at using
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    MTB specific bum bags are becoming quite popular.
  • arix36
    JGTR wrote:
    MTB specific bum bags are becoming quite popular.

Oooh not a bad call at all. So what would be a good pump for that
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get one of those drones to carry your kit around.

Why not carry the weight on the bike though? You dont want to crash and land on your tools under your spine. Much better to put the weight on the bike than on you.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    cougie wrote:
    Get one of those drones to carry your kit around.

Why not carry the weight on the bike though? You dont want to crash and land on your tools under your spine. Much better to put the weight on the bike than on you.

Any different from a normal back pack?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    cougie wrote:
    Much better to put the weight on the bike than on you.

At least with a backpack you usually have a camelback and a few pockets and layers before the hard bits. A chain tool in your back pocket is going to hurt.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    arix36 wrote:
    Not really wanting to attach anything to my bike apart from maybe an inner tube

Why not? Wouldn't look cool? One way or another you're going to have to carry the weight of whatever you do take so it might as well go on the bike rather than through your thigh in a crash.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I use a non MTB specific bum bag that cost £8 from the trespass shop in Brum. Holds a gel, phone, inner tube (or two if I'm on me hols) a pump, multitool and keys.

I use a topeak race rocket pump, it's good enough and small enough.

This is the bag - I don't use the bottle pocket though, it's too much weight. Keep that on the bike.

uuacbaf20003-sap-a.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017