Tacx smart trainer

Penno
Penno Posts: 26
After researching and concluding that the BKool is not compatible with Stealth 50 I have decided to go for the Tacx. I have read many reviews for Vortex, Bushido and Genius. Obviously it is personal preference as some love the Tacx brand others not so keen.
My question is to anyone who has any of the Tacx trainers listed above. How have you found them, and is it worth paying the extra money for the Bushido and Genius above the Vortex.
Any advice is truly appreciated.

Comments

• I've a Bushido. What would you like to know? It's reliable, consistent, not especially noisy for roller turbo, and when the clinch is on it doesn't slip and I can hardly turn the pedal.

Would I buy it again? No. The reason being Tacx's software apps. Have a read on Google Play and you will see they are truly dreadful. As the Bushido has no power the app almost never calibrates it. You finish calibration, the turbo stops spinning, the app looses contact, and never displays the calibration value. From the odd time it has worked I know I'm in the right setup with 80psi. Id like to know more often and be able to calibrate whenever I choose to do so. I think being unable to calibrate a smart trainer as pointless. I'm not sure if the app has same issues with powered trainers.
  • Penno
    William
    many thanks for your reply. I have emailed Tacx, BKool and ZyroFisher the UK suppliers of Cateye. They all give different advice. My local bike store are going to call with their respective reps to confirm my Cateye Stealth which has an ANT sensor which I monitor cadence and heart rate to see if they are truly compatible.
    They did state that whilst they personally have Tacx trainers they can be complicated and echo your findings.
    I want is a simple smart trainer that will work with my Cateye and IPad.
    May have to stick to a basic trainer?
  • Freeza
    Freeza Posts: 128
    As the Bushido has no power the app almost never calibrates it. You finish calibration, the turbo stops spinning, the app looses contact, and never displays the calibration value.

I also have a Bushido but have never experienced this. When stopped the unit retains power for a short while and transmits data for about 2 mins. Never had a problem calibrating with the app.

The good news is that once set up mine has never drifted from calibration, very consistent as long as you don't accidentally change the adjustments.

To the OP, I've found using the Bushido with TrainerRoad (and the occasional dabble on Zwift) a revelation, has given me real passion for structured indoor training. Would I buy one again? Not at current prices. I bought mine pre-Brexit when the price was close to what the Vortex currently retails for, if I was looking to buy today (at current prices and knowing what I know now) I'd either get a Vortex or most probably stretch the extra for the Flux.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I too have a Bushido and have never had any problems with the app. Saying that my app is iOS and you must ensure nothing else is hooked up to the trainer when you are doing the calibration. Eg you cannot have TR linked and do a calibration via the Tacx app at the same time.

If I was buying again I'd not bother with the Bushido but step down to the Vortex and suffer the inconvenience of a plug
  • Penno
    Vslowpace wrote:
    I too have a Bushido and have never had any problems with the app. Saying that my app is iOS and you must ensure nothing else is hooked up to the trainer when you are doing the calibration. Eg you cannot have TR linked and do a calibration via the Tacx app at the same time.

If I was buying again I'd not bother with the Bushido but step down to the Vortex and suffer the inconvenience of a plug

Thanks for this. Local bike shop contradict my findings a say the BKool should be compatible with my Stealth Evo, and recommend this as there is no calibration required and easier to set up than a Tacx. So still undecided as yet. Unfortunately my budget will not allow me to get a Genius, Flow or Neo, so if I go for Tacx it will be a vortex.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Have you looked at the Tacx Flow Smart T2240, Ive had my'n for 6 months or so and its been great for Zwift etc.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-t ... bo-trainer
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Penno
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Have you looked at the Tacx Flow Smart T2240, Ive had my'n for 6 months or so and its been great for Zwift etc.

Thanks will have a look.
    Do you ride the IOM.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Had the Bushido Smart and hated it. Too much slippage with it which aggravated a knee injury and slow or inconsistent response with auto resistance. The TTS4 software was problematic too. Sold mine and went to an Elite Kura fluid trainer.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Penno
    philthy3 wrote:
    Had the Bushido Smart and hated it. Too much slippage with it which aggravated a knee injury and slow or inconsistent response with auto resistance. The TTS4 software was problematic too. Sold mine and went to an Elite Kura fluid trainer.
    Right. It appears Tacx as a brand can be problematic, both with hardware and software. I am limited to a budget so may go for the BKool although speed which is not as important to me such as cadence and heart rate, may not be displayed on the headset of my Stealth apparently due to different ANT+ profile.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Penno wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:

Thanks will have a look.
    Do you ride the IOM.

Yes, an ex road racer (motorcycle) turned cyclist nowadays.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube