Roof bar advice

arix36
arix36 Posts: 67
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys iam wanting to get a Thule roof rack system however iam concerned about the frame clamp on a carbon frame. Has anyone done this and if so was there any damage done to the frame at all

Many thanks Anthony

Comments

• arix36
    POAH wrote:
    concerned about what

The clamp that holds the bike damaging the frame this is my first carbon fibre frame and iam a bit apprehensive tbh
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I clamp my Cube Reaction GTC Pro with the Thule rack - not dead yet. Due to the frame and rack layouts the clamp is right at the bottom of the downtube, close to the bottom bracket so a pretty sturdy place to be clamping. Besides, it's not a vice, it just needs to hold it snug.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • arix36
    figbat wrote:
    I clamp my Cube Reaction GTC Pro with the Thule rack - not dead yet. Due to the frame and rack layouts the clamp is right at the bottom of the downtube, close to the bottom bracket so a pretty sturdy place to be clamping. Besides, it's not a vice, it just needs to hold it snug.

Thats reassuring to know thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The carbon frame is likely to be much more robust than an aluminium frame with a higher force required to failure, don't hear of many issues with Al frames.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    I use mine with carbon frame but i wrap the downtube in some 3mm Correx first just to spread the load a little and protect the paint, as said above it doesn't have to be clamped super tight like a workstand would.

The jaws just need to be snug enough to stop it moving around
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • arix36
    Brilliant thanks guys fears averted
  • Apply some helicopter tape where it is going to be clamped. I never bothered on my old bike and it eventually wore the paint off the frame.