Taking bits in handluggage

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited June 2017 in Road general
Has anyone taken their cranks in their hand luggage when travelling on an aeroplane please? I've had a look at the government advice on sports equipment, but of course it doesn't say anything.

I want to take my Rotor power meter (with Q rings away with me). I reckon shoes and pedals should be ok (I have a mini pedal spanner).

Anything else I might need to consider

Thanks in advance
Brett
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've taken a chain, pedals, a multi-tool that looked like a pen knife, and most recently a motorized telescope mount on flights hand luggage with no problem. Although I did ask about the chain first. Cranks do look a little more potentially aggressive though, and I'd contact the airline first before arriving at the airport. I'd hate to see a crank based power meter in one of these perspex boxes with all the knives, razors, etc, they have on display next to the security lines.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think you may be running a risk with your cranks and chain rings. Its basically a circular saw blade isn't it ?

If i had to take them I'd put them in the hold and make sure they were insured just in case.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I took a cassette (still in its Shimano packaging) through - they gave it a very good look and talked it over - I guess it was marginal. A crank arm is a bit of a risk too but is probably too light to be a threat (cosh). Inner tubes (in boxes) caused the x-ray person concern.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,067
    I've taken pedals, chains and cassettes in hand luggage, but had a pair of pliers confiscated. I too hesitated over crank arms and chain ring, so will probably wait till someone is driving down. At least at Exeter Airport they allow you to pay £10 to charity to be able to collect your stuff on return, but I'm not going to take a chance. I suppose I could ask a supervisor next time I go through, but it might rather depend on who's manning it on the day.

I had cheese confiscated at Paris Charles de Gaulle - they said no soft cheese in hand luggage, or more than 100g of hard cheese ... they took my 200g of Reblochon, the bastards... reckon they just wanted to cook tartiflette for the staff supper.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Does anyone know what the rule is on CO2 cartridges ?

Thanks.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Thanks for the replies, I'll have to wrap them up then as, yes, it is a PM too. Need to find some of that split cable conduit too to go over the teeth.

CO2 cartridges are a no no
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • briantrumpet
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, I'll have to wrap them up then as, yes, it is a PM too. Need to find some of that split cable conduit too to go over the teeth.

Don't wrap them in soft cheese. Or at least, not more than 100g of the stuff.

Seriously, the wrapping up won't make a difference to whether they allow it or not - my pliers were safely wrapped up inside an aluminium case, and they were still confiscated once they'd been seen on the X-ray.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i got stopped at Bristol in May and my pedals and saddle were allowed through, but a 4 mm allen key was binned and a miulti tool, i was stopped because i left an ipad in the hand luggage.
    they completely stripped out everything, socks unrolled shoes emptied, i d be amazed if they let you take cranks on board in cabin,
    from Mallorca, they didnt give a stuff about anything at all.
  • ballanawin
    ballanawin Posts: 12
    I used to work security at our airport and I was level 2 Civil aviation accredited/trained, X ray on baggage and hold... if you could use it as a weapon don't take it, if its CO2 don't take it. Put it into hold luggage, some airports don't care to much, would you be happy travelling with someone who might use that crank/chain ring to split your head or the cable ties to handcuff you,if you have seen some of the innocent items used as weapons you would think twice, would you give a lift to a hitchhiker that you didn't know, whats in his/her bag?

We live in a society where the innocent looking are our potential enemy and the innocent looking are also our friends.. your choice... how would you use the items if you had to?

100ml of liquid, i.e. hydrogen peroxide, its used to bleach hair and is in some throat medicines... 100ml neat will also blow an aircraft out of the air.
    Your choice, if it gets confiscated on the way out, its still yours and you can re claim it on the way back, why not post the cranks ?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    We're a bit inconsistent though because I'd rather be hit over the head with a Hollowtech NDS crank arm than many a laptop battery. And batteries make an impressive bang too.

I believe that many of the rules are to make the public feel safe rather than actually be safe. If 100ml of peroxide can take an aircraft down, what stops someone with a fake boob or two (or whatever) filled with peroxide getting on a plane? Nothing.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You say that but the new body scanners they have would show that up. Not sure if all airports have them though ?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,873
    Ballanawin wrote:
    I used to work security at our airport and I was level 2 Civil aviation accredited/trained, X ray on baggage and hold... if you could use it as a weapon don't take it, if its CO2 don't take it. Put it into hold luggage, some airports don't care to much, would you be happy travelling with someone who might use that crank/chain ring to split your head or the cable ties to handcuff you,if you have seen some of the innocent items used as weapons you would think twice, would you give a lift to a hitchhiker that you didn't know, whats in his/her bag?
    A broadsheet newspaper can be made into a very effective weapon as an example.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    We're a bit inconsistent though because I'd rather be hit over the head with a Hollowtech NDS crank arm than many a laptop battery. And batteries make an impressive bang too.

I believe that many of the rules are to make the public feel safe rather than actually be safe. If 100ml of peroxide can take an aircraft down, what stops someone with a fake boob or two (or whatever) filled with peroxide getting on a plane? Nothing.

Good to know that you are also an Airline security expert as well lol.

There is a balance to be struck between making flying 100% safe and the good running of an airport and our personal liberty.

If the OP was just taking a NDS arm, then i dont think there would be any issue but a chain ring? ever caught your knuckles on one?

I d rather have to buy a new pedal based PM than find myself plummeting into the ground at 500mph because somebody has used a chain ring to cut the throat of a pilot.

The 9/11 terrorists used box cutters to cause the deaths of 1000s.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I got stopped at Nice when my walkable Sidi SPD shoes which I was wearing set off the X ray machine. They would not let me put the shoes in my hand luggage. I had to run barefoot to check in my Sidis in a plastic carrier bag as hold baggage and only just managed to catch my flight on time, still barefoot. I was relieved to see my shoes emerge on the conveyor belt on arrival in U.K.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,663
    I used to transport all sorts in hand luggage but things have changed recently. I've had multi tools and a spanner confiscated. There is a specific prohibition against "work tools".

When considering whether to risk it, I would weigh things up against cost for yourself or someone you know to come and get it from the airport, because they won't ship it to you and they won't keep it for long before disposing of it.

A crank is not cheap, so I'd put it in a box and post it, if I were you.

It also depends where you are flying. I've just come from the US, where getting into the wrong queue at passport control earns you a one hour wait to be grilled in a separate room. I would imagine Donald Trump wants to keep America safe from crankset wielding maniacs.... so if you are up for a cavity search, being put on a terror watch list and a lifetime exclusion from the US, Sram RED in your hand luggage is probably a no-no.

But you are allowed hand guns on some internal flights.
  • briantrumpet
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I got stopped at Nice when my walkable Sidi SPD shoes which I was wearing set off the X ray machine. They would not let me put the shoes in my hand luggage. I had to run barefoot to check in my Sidis in a plastic carrier bag as hold baggage and only just managed to catch my flight on time, still barefoot. I was relieved to see my shoes emerge on the conveyor belt on arrival in U.K.
    If I happen to be wearing my SPDs when going through security I just take them off and stick them on the conveyor. But no problem either having SPD shoes in hand luggage in either Exeter or Paris CdG - now done loads of times, as I always cycle to the airport.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    brettjmcc wrote:
    I always thought that too - a couple of years ago one of my mates had them taken off him when he tried to take them through - however not long back from a trip to the Alps and one of my mates had one in his hand luggage, security took it out and spoke to his supervisor who told him it was ok to take 'one'...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There is so much variance between airports it's crazy. There is a co2 cylinder on all of the life jackets underneath the seats anyway but most times you'll have it confiscated.

I swear security at nice make a fortune off the 100s of canisters they confiscate from triathletes after IM Nice.

• But you are allowed hand guns on some internal flights.

Just so there is no confusion: Any firearms would have to be in a TSA approved case and checked, unless you are an authorized LEO.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    I took my shoes, pedals and garmin as hand luggage and forgot about the garmin which was picked up by the scanner. The bag was then searched and I was asked what it was. A brief explanation and the young lady said she didn't have a clue what it was and said I was fine to proceed to board.....
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    I believe that many of the rules are to make the public feel safe rather than actually be safe.
    Given the number of times I've inadvertently taken screwdrivers, pliers, hacksaws, etc through security I tend to agree with this. Security theatre.

First time it happened (work trip, taken my usual laptop backpack with the odd tool in the bottom that I'd forgotten about) I went back and told a supervisor: big error. 1½ hours in a side room being grilled, missed flight, no apology, no comeback.
  • First.Aspect

But you are allowed hand guns on some internal flights.

Just so there is no confusion: Any firearms would have to be in a TSA approved case and checked, unless you are an authorized LEO.
    Those TLAs aren't confusing at all.

I also saw several dogs waiting to board flights. Imagine. "Fido, COCKPIT!".

Another "anomaly" is (fully size) glass bottles in the trolley, served in plastic cups. In Glasgow, that's the weapon of choice.
  • Anyone who's traveled in USA has met TSA-transportation security administration. LEO=law enforcement officer.
    HTH
  • First.Aspect
    Anyone who's traveled in USA has met TSA-transportation security administration. LEO=law enforcement officer.
    HTH
    I just got back from Minnesota. I managed just fine speaking English.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    in the early days of these searches I waited behind a german football team each of which had bought a truncheon and was trying to go on board with it. I had an EMPTY bidon confiscated ; I think the security men had become a bit hypersensitive after the truncheons.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Ice climbing axes aren't allowed. I think that a crankset would be confiscated. Stick t in a plastic bag, wrap it up and stick it in the centre of your hold luggage. If an electric toothbrush survives several flights, I suspect that a PM will too.