brake level deadband/free play

Phil Mountain
Phil Mountain Posts: 15
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought my son a new bike which came with Shimano AM315 (BR-M315) hydraulic disc brakes. There is about 30mm free play or deadband in the lever before full compression is achieved. I just wondered if this was acceptable or could it be reduced by bleeding the brakes?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    30mm is a huge amount. Sounds like they need bleeding.
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    Not sure I understand description. 30mm of total travel or 30mm of free stroke (before pads contact rotor)?

Bleeding might be able to sort it out. If not, you can overfill the system with brake fluid slightly. This creates extra pressure comparable to what you'd have if you were pulling the brake constantly - the pistons would be in their proper position (as they are self adjusting) but it would take much less lever travel to engage the brakes. It's important to be careful doing this, as overfilling too much will affect performance and cause a number of issues.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    take wheels off and pull lever. This will move pads in, reducing free movement. put wheels back in and see if its any better. if it is then just do a mini fill/bleed of the lever.