New to cyclocross, wondering how/where to start.

Yuwego
Yuwego Posts: 13
edited June 2017 in Cyclocross
I bought a cyclocross bike, not too long ago, and have been riding it around and taking it on some trails. I've grown keen to the idea of training to do some legit cyclocross but I have no idea how/where to get some good training in. How did you guys get started? Where did you go to practice? I'm also open for some bits of advice and whatever else you would like to share with me. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    Where are you based? Someone on here should be nearby and able to direct you but it's a bit quiet in here until around August.
    I bought my cyclocross bike and a month later entered a race to see what it was like. Then I worked out what I had to learn from there. I'd never used STi shifters or dropped bars or clipped in so it was a quick learning experience but well worth it.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I did my first cross race last year and loved it, really looking forward to the season this year.

- in terms of off-road riding I just followed whatever paths I could find on strava (some very good, some...not so appropriate, but was all fun). I then hooked up with a friend who had a better knowledge of the local area and learnt some more routes.

- Don't worry too much about practice, as long as you can dismount you'll be fine. Cross races are very beginner friendly and supportive so you'll learn as you race. You could go to a local park or green space and practice tight U-turns and mounts/dismounts.
  • Yuwego
    mikpem wrote:
    Where are you based? Someone on here should be nearby and able to direct you...

I'm located in Vicenza, Italy. Not sure how popular this site is in this region. I'm mainly just looking for a trail or something to get acquainted to the type of riding. Italy doesn't seem to have many parks--at least in my region--that are bike friendly, and most forested areas are used as borders between properties, lol. Much different from the states.
  • Yuwego
    joey54321 wrote:
    - in terms of off-road riding I just followed whatever paths I could find on strava (some very good, some...not so appropriate, but was all fun). I then hooked up with a friend who had a better knowledge of the local area and learnt some more routes.

I've looked at strava but the paths all look the same to me. I can't really tell which is decent and which would just be a casual road ride.
    - Don't worry too much about practice, as long as you can dismount you'll be fine. Cross races are very beginner friendly and supportive so you'll learn as you race. You could go to a local park or green space and practice tight U-turns and mounts/dismounts.
    I'm living abroad in Italy, currently, so the I think the language barrier would be a bit difficult to find anyone to help but I can check some local pages and talk to some bike shops about some spots. BTW, how was your first race? What did you do, leading up to it, to prepare?
  • Hi
    If you want to race then you need to be bike fit so any kind of riding will help, road, mtb, cross, whatever.
    Races do have technical sections but an awful lot is just maximum effort until near bursting.

If you really want to train technically then you only need a small area of grass with a hill to practice mount, dismount, tight turns and off camber work. But this is numbingly boring unless you find a club or a coach or some mates with stakes and tape.

If you can ride hard in other disciplines then you are 80% of the way there. In reply to your question, for my first race I did loads of technical practice but that was pretty pointless because I was not fit enough and went backwards on the straight sections.

Best training for racing is racing so pin a number on and have fun and work out where you are losing/gaining time.

Alan
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yuwego wrote:
    mikpem wrote:

I'm located in Vicenza, Italy. Not sure how popular this site is in this region. I'm mainly just looking for a trail or something to get acquainted to the type of riding. Italy doesn't seem to have many parks--at least in my region--that are bike friendly, and most forested areas are used as borders between properties, lol. Much different from the states.

Long shot, but are you at Camp Ederle? There must be a cycling club/group on the garrison, if so. Otherwise, remember this is Italy - there are cycling clubs everywhere, although if you don't speak the lingo, then communication is probably going to be difficult.
  • Yuwego
    Imposter wrote:
    Yuwego wrote:
    mikpem wrote:

Long shot, but are you at Camp Ederle? There must be a cycling club/group on the garrison, if so. Otherwise, remember this is Italy - there are cycling clubs everywhere, although if you don't speak the lingo, then communication is probably going to be difficult.

I sure am at Camp Ederle. As far as I know, we used to have a club but don't anymore. I don't speak Italian, so that'll be hard for me. I've grown used to just riding solo, as lonely as it is.
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    You'll probably have to join a club to race in italy
    From friends that have done it its not a small thing
    There's generally a doctors appointment needed to get a race licence.

BUT - definitely do it, don't let it put you off, it will be a great way to meet decent people and learn a bit of lingo