Layback dropper post

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

Wanting a dropper but my current bike is comfy after much tinkering and I don't really want to mess with things now it's right. Have found the Specialized Command Post, which is on sale at the moment. Anyone with experience of it? Aware I could just move the saddle back on a straight post, but would rather have the flexibility of keeping it in the middle of the layback if possible. I'll also need a shim as my current post is 31.6mm.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/specia ... 0woda6wGMg

Thanks.
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    As far as I can tell, the one on offer is internal cable routing only. I don't know if that's an issue for you.
    I was tempted by that, but I'd definitely need external cable.
  • jamski
    I have the provision for internal routing in my frame, so I want that. Tempted by the Brand X now though, the two year warranty appeals, get good reviews, I like the lever as I have 1x, and it looks a little layed back. Might just go for it!
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I used to have a command post, and really liked some aspects of it, like the dual-position clamp and easy set up. However, I found that the return mechanism was temperamental, as it works on a very large bore/low pressure system, which makes it very finicky about getting dirty. Once the seals pick up a little grime, the added friction would stop the post from extending back up. If you increase the air pressure to compensate for this, then you're in danger of losing your nuts as it pops back up so quickly :shock:
  • jamski
    jimothy78 wrote:
    I used to have a command post, and really liked some aspects of it, like the dual-position clamp and easy set up. However, I found that the return mechanism was temperamental, as it works on a very large bore/low pressure system, which makes it very finicky about getting dirty. Once the seals pick up a little grime, the added friction would stop the post from extending back up. If you increase the air pressure to compensate for this, then you're in danger of losing your nuts as it pops back up so quickly :shock:

Thanks. I think the Command Post is out for a few reasons. 100mm is a relatively small drop, especially as I have my post 170mm or so outside the frame. If I find it changes my position too much, I might just get a 10mm longer stem to compensate.