Beginner bike, thoughts?

Ryanwales89
Ryanwales89 Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. Recently pop'd down to my local cycle shop to see what's on offer. They sell either Cube or Orbea bikes,
There's an entry level one I fancy as I don't want to spend too much on my first bike but just wondering what you guys think?
https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/mx-50

I'll mainly be using it on flat trails.

Appreciate any feedback

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't. Pop into a local Halfords, Decathlon or Go Outdoors and you'll do better for the money. That has a useless fork, and bargain bin parts. The brakes are ok.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I kinda guessed the forks were rubbish. A friend of mine has advised me against Halfords, they built his bike and he's been back and forth 3 times because he's constantly having problems, so I'm kinda put off by that, where as the cyle shop that I saw this bike is less than a mile away and has a really good reputition.

Money isn't really an issue to some extent I've just gone by the style / Colour really. This bike came in Celeste so that instantly drew me to it, if the forks are really a problem, are they hard to upgrade?
    Thanks for the input.
  • Cheers wmorgs I'll check them out!

Also Cooldad, out of curiousity what are the ''bargain bin parts'' you mention? Just to keep an eye out for similar parts on bikes
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Cheers wmorgs I'll check them out!

Also Cooldad, out of curiousity what are the ''bargain bin parts'' you mention? Just to keep an eye out for similar parts on bikes

My hardtail was a Calibre Two.two from Go Outdoors, a great starter bike. Now on a Pro FS from Halfords, no issues on either.

The parts CD was referring to are probably the group set, so front/rear mech and shifters, they're pretty basic, cheap parts. The Calibre is a few rungs up the ladder on those parts as well as branded bars and saddle, all nice things to have.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Another happy owner of a Calibre Two.Two here.

It does have 26" wheels which are definitely not the trend at the moment.
    If the wheels ever become an issue, you'll probably be at the stage of wanting something more than a starter bike anyway.

However, as a starter bike I can't fault it.
  • Cheers for the input. The calibre is very appealing, only problem is that I don't have a mechanical bone in my body. And I don't really know anyone who could assemble it professionally
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    I got mine delivered.
    Once out of the box, I think it was just attach handlebars, front wheel and seat post. It was so simple, I can't quite remember the details. As my first new bike, it was slightly scary - I didn't want to break anything! - but it really was easy.
    There must be loads of unboxing a bike youtube videos.