Watts per kilo, which test?

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
I am trying to calculate watts per kilo. Do I do a twenty minute test or 60minutes?
When is the 20 minute test done?
When is the 60 minute test done?

Comments

• MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Huh? What are you trying to measure?

A test of your w/kg for 10 second max sprint is going to be very different than one for FTP w/kg! If this is a Zwift or training thing to figure out what rides/races you should do then they use w/kg measurement over an hour (or basically FTP). There are plenty of ways to mewasure this ranging from 8 minute efforts to full on hour efforts. I use 20 minute power minus 5% to get FTP (then obviously divide by weight in kg).

What do you mean by "when" is the test done?
  • Bozabyka
    I am trying to measure training progress in watts
    So the 20minute minus 95% should equal average watts for an hour test?
  • Bozabyka
    What is the best warm up for a 20minute test? My interest is progress towards a faster ten mile tt
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Bozabyka wrote:

"Should" ... my 20min test when equalised is way quicker than my true hours effort !
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you're using Swift, Tacx TTS or similar, there'll be a specific program to ascertain your FTP. If you're doing it on the road or on a turbo not using a training program;

http://cyclingcommentary.typepad.com/cy ... mance.html
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bozabyka wrote:
    My interest is progress towards a faster ten mile tt

Best way of establishing that progress is to actually ride a 10mTT and compare the time to a previous one on the same route/conditions.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You need Watts/CdA for TTs
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Bozabyka wrote:
    I am trying to measure training progress in watts

Should. It's a close guideline and a good way of measuring progress. Google "20 minute FTP test" and you'll get a load of different ways to properly warm up and perform the test.

If you're training for improving 10-mile TT times then your 20 minute to half hour power is important (and ability to go into the red slightly and ride back at FTP without much recovery). You'll also want to focus on getting aero! Big gains on your W/CdA will net big time savings for the same wattage output. Two riders averaging 250 watts and the same w/kg over a course can/will post completely different times!