new tyre recommendations

moonshine
moonshine Posts: 1,021
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm getting baffled by choice, so help required.
26" wheels on Stans Arch EX rims, looking for a recommendation for Front rear tyre combo - for general trail riding / XC - nothing too extreme! i.e. No DH - on a Stumpjumper FSR - run tubeless with stand rims and sealant
currently have Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 but they are worn out.

so far, suggestions are
F - Maxxis Ardent R-Maxxis High Roller II
F - Specialized Purgatory R / Butcher or Ground Control II
Swalbe? F ? R ?
Continental? F / R

anything else?

Comments

• davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    High Rollers always for me - Super Tacky on the front and 60A rear
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • moonshine
    High Rollers always for me - Super Tacky on the front and 60A rear
    do I need the TR tyres to run tubeless or will I manage with the non TR EXO tyres with Stans sealant?
    compound? 3Cterra or 60a?
    and size? benefits of going large? clearance issues?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Specialized Purgatory on the front and Ground Control or The Captain on the rear is a good combination. Get them in 'Control' flavour.
    You can always find Spesh tyres on sale so they won't break the bank.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    HR2 not particularly good at anything and draggy.
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    Bontrager xr4 team issue. I run them on stans crest for similar conditions to you year round. Replaced mountain king. They are really predictable and confidence inspiring. Easy tubeless with a track pump on the crest rim. Well reviewed. I run 2.20 front and back. Bike a 26 inch Boardman pro carbon hardtail
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    Personally run the Ardent - 2,4 front, 2,25 rear. Probably will get 2.4 for the rear once I wear it down. Used to be an advocate for having different front and rear, but I fell in love with this tyre so having only one was not enough.
    While a great tyre, it's not for everyone. It has this rather strange feel to it, as the centre is relatively closely spaced and surprisingly fast rolling, while the sides are very grippy. The transition is not seamless and it's not the most reassuring feel. Gotta have faith :) Once you get used to it (if you get used to it), you'll love it, as it's one of the most versatile tyres out there - fast on both the XC trails and rocky descends. Durable, tread lasts for ages, plenty of grip most anywhere. It's weakness is loose over hard, but hey, lot of heavier tyres fail on that.
    Gotta run it at quite a low pressure. That's why I'd also recommend a higher volume one and EXO casing is a must these days. Not that much of a weight penalty, much happier rides.
    When combined with High Roller II, you want the have the Ardent on the rear and HR front, not the other way around. HR is more grippy than than the Ardent. However, I would not reach for the High Roller unless I was doing lots of rocky stuff or just plain all mountain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the use you describe a Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph rear sounds great, probably a 2.25" front and that or a 2.15" rear, you don't want super tacky (and draggy) for that use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I use the conti race Kings race sports tubeless for xc riding. Light and fast tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • moonshine
    ok, thanks for the comments...
    I’ve plumped for a Maxxis Ardent and a Maxxis High Roller II...
    which one is favoured on the front? HRII?
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Maxxis Ignitor decent grip a fast rolling,Got a pair on some wheels that I bought and was really impressed with them,also Bontrager XR4 are a good tyre
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the compounds more than the name. Ignitors are excellent in Exception, XR4 in Team Issue, or Expert at a pinch.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Specialized tyres are very good, I had three sets of purgatory/butcher in a row. All three rears (butcher) ended up with a huge deformation in the tyre, to the point where the wheel wouldn't turn. First one was a very sideways landing so I put that down to my riding, second and third were both heavy compressions on trails so I'm thinking it may be a weakness in the tyre carcass.
    I'm now on Maxxis Minion & Shorty 3c maxterra etc. Really impressed with them. Loads of grip.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    moonshine wrote:

I have the HRII on the front, Ardent rear. So far so good.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • moonshine
    figbat wrote:
    moonshine wrote:

I have the HRII on the front, Ardent rear. So far so good.
    Super! Thanks, that was what I thought :)
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends on the compounds more than the name. Ignitors are excellent in Exception, XR4 in Team Issue, or Expert at a pinch.
    Argh you are quite right I forgot to put the compounds