Kona Stab Garbanzo 2006ish

MattyB85
MattyB85 Posts: 25
edited June 2017 in MTB general
Afternoon all,

Apologies for the less than technical post... NEWBIE ALERT

I am getting more and more into MTB'ing and am lucky enough to live a short drive from Swinley Forest. I have also just inherited a 2006ish Kona Stab Garbanzo. Having searched online to see what a Garbanzo was all about I now understand it to be a repackaged Kona Stinky Primo from the same year, built for Whistler. There are still no real details on the bike itself though as it's relatively niche.
As it's a DH machine it's not exactly suited to the trails of Swinley Forest, especially going up. I find myself bouncing up and down more than going forwards. To combat this someone suggested swapping the large spring shock at the rear for a Air sprung rear shock with lockout or 'propedal'. I currently have what I believe is the stock Marzocchi Rocco (needs replacing anyway as it's had it's day) and up front a Marzocchi Bomber 66VF2.
Where do I start with upgrading/swapping the rear shock? I don't want to spend more than £100 right now so would be looking at second hand as long as it's in working order. What sizes do I need? anything I should particularly look out for or steer clear of?

The frame is a 15.5" which I believe classes as a Medium. I am around 13.5st and 5'10" which I've been told will make a difference too.

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's a very old, rather heavy DH/FR bike. Nothing you can do will make it nice around Swinley. Either push up and ride down Babymaker a lot, or sell it and buy something more rideable.

IMHO of course.

Otherwise you need to measure the eye to eye length and travel of the shock and find something the same.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MattyB85
    MattyB85 Posts: 25
    Nice one, thanks Cooldad

Not really trying to make it "nice" but I'm going to try to reduce the bounce for now as it's quite a fun bike all round... the climbing aspect is becoming a pain although it's bearable to a point. Once I'm happy I've improved to a decent level I'll look at selling up and getting something better/newer but funds are tight at the moment so I'm just making do with what I have/can afford.

Forgive my ignorance... what is eye to eye length and how would I measure it?? Would you recommend anything to replace the Rocco?

Ta much
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    There's a Kona Stinky Primo on ebay, no bid but listed at £400. If they were to go for that, add your £100, and get yourself an entry level hardtail. It will be much better around Swinley, and you're more likely to enjoy it, and stick to riding it.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Stab was a terrible downhill bike and it would be an absolutely dreadful trail bike. Unfortunately, you cant polish a turd so sell it and buy a budget hardtail instead.