ride, i foresee much espresso

collect and play with new toys

food, wine, and port later
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Sungod - what toys?

Chilled 6 mile run and then pack the car as we are off to Ludlow camping for the weekend. Tomorrow is the Shropshire highland challenge, one of my favourite rides of the year

So lunch will be seafood and wine :)
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Day 2 Dragon Tour.
    Then long shower to get warm and much carbs for tomorrow
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,530
    TLW1 wrote:
    Sungod - what toys?

new drill, old one erupted in a cloud of dense smoke when it jammed in the hole and the trigger wouldn't release (tbh the trigger had been a bit iffy for a while), just managed to get to the power switch before total meltdown

inspired by pinno i decided to get a chunky sds one
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,328
    edited June 2017
    5.23am. - ffs. How we supposed to compete with that?
    What make of SDS? Cordless?
    Did you hang on to the drill and do a twirl about or did the sum total of your mass + gravity exceed the rotational force?

I once very stupidly put a drill through the round soldered loop on the end of a length of braided earth cable to widen it a fraction. It was an earth strap for a mini. I figured 1 extra millimetre wouldn't proffer much resistance.
    I got through the hole perfectly and then loop jammed half way up the drill bit. The bit was stuck in the block of wood I used to carry out this process. Rat tail wrapped itself around my thumb and first 2 fingers of my left hand and the block of wood added a bit of 'punch'. My left hand was quite a mess, the bruising from the block of wood turned interesting and the scarlet ran freely. Best of all, there was a vice just 10 feet away on the workbench.
    Thankfully, youth is a condition which cures itself although there are always remnants in those of a North Eastern persuasion.

Piddling down here. Me on toots watch. They seem settled for now.

When is Gazza back from his holiday? He's going to get short shrift from me about not posting. Proper BBers post no matter what. No feline tales, myths or general reports of Tom Foolery (contrived or otherwise).

Will 3rd tier sweaties with tons of determination and passion overcome the quality of the lack lustre, eternal under achieving, damp squibs?

Dauphine and Tour De Swiss and footie with toots. How the farq do I juggle that lot?

Laters
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    edited June 2017
    mains powered, bosch one 850w

this was a 12mm bit, deep in heavy metal, the bit was forced/locked against whatever it had caught, couldn't twist/drag it out, and 12mm is too big to snap off, just kept the cable tight to avoid it winding up and cut the power
  • pinno
    Couldn't reverse the drill? I guess it didn't have that function.
    You can jam the claw of a crow bar on the bit and lever it out sometimes. Slightly more agricultural is to use the claw against the chuck.
    If the bit is too wide, use an angle grinder to cut two conducive grooves in it to accommodate the claw of a crow bar/hammer.
  • sungod
    no, it was an old no-frills black and decker, tbh underpowered for that size bit, had nothing nearby, the thing it jammed in was easily over 30kg, but it just followed me around as i tried to wriggle/drag the drill out

once the power was off the bit easily released

the funny bit was looking at the smoke and wondering could i make it to the power switch before it became flame
  • pinno
    That ngngnnnnnnnnnnn sound of a jammed motor is quite unique and immediately recognisable.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Looking at smoke and wondering if it will become fire always adds a frisson of excitement. I remember watching the smoke coming out of a steering cowl become flame as I tried to make it to a safe place to pull over. Thankfully that car only broke down outside pubs.
    Lazy start to the day, this is good. Rode over to Battersea to look at a car last night, then I got outbid. Maybe I should have gone higher.
  • pinno
    When I did my mini pick up (quick over view - Metro 1300 engine, British racing green, cooper stripes, mini lites, Metro turbo seats), I found a Rokee dash at Pease Pottage. It was in a state and I decided to use the chrome glove box guides and use it as a template to make one out of mahogany.
    The right glove compartment became a perfect mount for 3 52mm dials. A clock, an oil pressure gauge and an ammeter.
    I managed to get an oil capillary from another Metro and 'plumbed it in'.
    Driving in town, there was this stench of engine oil. I pulled over and as the glove box was on hinges, I managed to just peek inside (the capillary preventing it from opening far) and there was this jet of hot oil. I managed to duck.Oil capillary was split.
    What a mess. What a clean up.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Anyway, moving on from DIY Disasters, first ride in 2 weeks courtesy this 'kin virus. A shorty forty but enjoyable if a tad blowey out, tailwinds - good. Legs ok, lungs not so much.
    Off on Monday for a week in that there Menorkar, a bit of heat n sun hopefully will see off this bug once n for all.
  • sungod
    played with drill, finished off job, it's bigger than i expected, smashed it's way through things

made me think of oppenheimer quoting hindu scripture, "now i am become death, the destroyer of worlds", bwahahahaha

had a veggie samosa, lovely sunny day, too windy though
  • pinno
    So the ride got superseded by the drill. :roll:
  • sungod
    no way! the ride began at 6 something for about 3 hours
  • pinno
    Dynamo on the front wheel, drill connected to the back wheel...
  • sungod
    well, my prodigious power output would of course allow this, but the aesthetics are unacceptable

as any fule kno, dynamos are for communters

edit: where is everyone?

edit again: bizzarre, i typed "of course", and br is rewriting it to "have course"
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    a lot of manual labour chat here. I don't get it
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Hot over here on the east Pinno

How uou all getting on with strong and stable?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    sungod wrote:
    as any fule kno, dynamos are for communters

Or for TCR or TransAm racers. Latter on the now, dot watching is us. 4,300 miles unsupported and xxxx loads of climbing. The sadly late Mike Hall set the record in 2014 at sub 18 days.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Day at Goodwad - lovely venue, lovely people, fab day.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474
    Goodwad
    Some truth in that :) Only drove there once - in the passing rain. Quite hairy but still good fun.

Now up North ready for some house clearing tomorrow. Curently pigging out at the local Thai place. Cider shortly.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Gazza - my office NOW.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Day at Goodwad - lovely venue, lovely people, fab day.
    Good, glad you had a good day.