Budget dropper posts

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm after adding a dropper post for my mega tr, its stealth compatible so I can use those on the bike and I'm wondering are these budget dropper posts really any good especially the brand x dropper post on crc 125 quid. It seems to have good reviews but I'm weary a little. I bought the frame used for a bargain price so ideally don't want to spend loads on one.

Or is the better option to look out for a brand new or used reverb etc ?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Not had that specific post but both mechanical posts I've had have been very reliable. My friend on the other hand has had loads of bother with his Reverb.
  • swod1
    Yes friends all have reverbs but the price of these new is nearly as much as I paid for the frame to build the bike up out of spare bits I had.

I'll keep a look out for any offers about and keep that one in mind.
  • Have you looked at the RSP plummet? Can get for £80 in a 100mm stealth version.

Went to my LBS to discuss droppers the other day and they say the get reverbs back on warranty claims every week!
  • Buy the brand X ascend form CRC for £125. Its a bargain and works very well.

I just changed from reverb to brand X and its a steal, read the reviews, its a no brainer and its stealth.

The only thing you need to be aware of is the button is like a trigger and sits on the left hand bar like a left hand trigger therefore if you are running 2x cranks it wont work, its for people running 1x11 really.

I have reverbs on two bikes and the brand x on my Canyon, I prefer it.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Specialized Command Post is half price here.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/specia ... AnB28P8HAQ

It's a layback post, which is unusual in a dropper, I'm tempted!
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • swod1
    Buy the brand X ascend form CRC for £125. Its a bargain and works very well.

I just changed from reverb to brand X and its a steal, read the reviews, its a no brainer and its stealth.

The only thing you need to be aware of is the button is like a trigger and sits on the left hand bar like a left hand trigger therefore if you are running 2x cranks it wont work, its for people running 1x11 really.

I've looked on crc and the brand x has loads of positive reviews which I why I'm tempted. I don't mind the lever on the left as running 1x system anyway.

what the quality like on the handlebar lever as I wondered whether you'd need to replace it with one from wolftooth components etc.

I just wonder what the longevity of the post is as it uses a sealed air cartridge and whether you can buy service kits for these
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have a brand new Brand x in its box 30.9 120drop I'm not using if you are near Gloucestershire. Then happy to sell at a reduced price over and above CRC price.
  • swod1 wrote:
    Buy the brand X ascend form CRC for £125. Its a bargain and works very well.

I've looked on crc and the brand x has loads of positive reviews which I why I'm tempted. I don't mind the lever on the left as running 1x system anyway.

what the quality like on the handlebar lever as I wondered whether you'd need to replace it with one from wolftooth components etc.

I just wonder what the longevity of the post is as it uses a sealed air cartridge and whether you can buy service kits for these

The lever is a bit flimsy but not worth changing imo unless you crash and break it!

I didnt service my reverb to be honest and at this price if it last 2-3 years I would be pleased, by then I would have changed bikes anyway.