Isle of Man rides

koreanbaz
koreanbaz Posts: 43
edited June 2017 in Road general
I find myself off to the IOM this week whilst the TT is on.
I'm taking my cyclocross bike and some road tyres as well. Can anybody recommend any nice routes? Not sure as to where I am staying yet. Douglas or Ramsey. I have the two map pack. And I know where the green lanes are, so will get a few in. But I'm more after nice road routes. The Mountain is not an option. Too many idiots at this time of year.
Cheers

Comments

• curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Please post back with your findings - there in August with the gravel bike so any tips will be appreciated
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Isurely it's going to be completely different in August as you won't have the road closures, crowds, etc?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bradzin
    bradzin Posts: 33
    I'm from the Isle of Man.
    During TT week whatever you do avoid riding anywhere on the TT course!
    The coast road to Ramsey can also get pretty busy.

For nice road rides stick to the south of the Island for quieter roads.
    Its a nice ride down to the Sound at the tip of the Island, a nice cafe and views there too, and a good ride back up.
    Up over the Sloc (starts near Port Erin) and then down through Dalby and Glenn Maye is a nice ride as well.
    Quiet roads and a good climb up through the Baldwin valley and over Injebreck.
    Don't know much about the green lanes, but the Island is small enough to just go out and explore without getting too lost and not being too far from home.
    Hope you have a nice time.
  • ballanawin
    ballanawin Posts: 12
    Hi all... long time lurker but thought I would join in.

The isle of Man is great with some really good loops, I can recomend the Slock to peel as Bradzin says, just make sure you are fit before you start, I did the reverse one week, up out of Dalby..... the hill never ends then at the "top" it isnt, its called magnetic hill and an optical illusion, you think you have cracked it and stop peddaling... the bike will slow to a halt.

The ride out of Port Erin (reverse route)was done a couple of weeks later, out of the saddle in the lowest gear I had and made it ..just, past the cottage at 4 mph.

coast road from Douglas through Laxey is good hills aplenty and fantastic views as you come out of Laxey, 40mph plus into Ramsey,

North of the Island is flat apart from a few hilly bits and a good run out along the west coast past Smeale and then into Peel for fish and chips or an ice cream.

There is always the old disused railway from Douglas to peel too 12 miles of a mix of tarmac, hardcore and dirt path

Mountain bike? get up to the plantations, there are many and some have purpose built tracks with boardwalks etc, check out the IOM tourist board sites.

https://www.visitisleofman.com/dbimgs/C ... de_Web.pdf

https://www.visitisleofman.com/things-t ... es/cycling

Have a good trip.. if you are still here Koreanbaz...sorry about the rain