£1000 road bike

rob12md
rob12md Posts: 4
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I'm looking to buy a road bike under the cycle to work scheme at a new job in the next 6 months. I figured I'd go right to the £1000 limit, so have picked out a few options, and narrowed it down to:
Trek Emonda alr 4 or the Giant Contend sl1.
I'm looking to expand my riding - I've done a couple of century rides, most recently a London - Brighton - London loop, and am going to be doing London to Paris in 12 months time.
I commute on a flat bar road bike with disc brakes (hoy Shizuoka) around 8 miles each way, but need time in the saddle and drop bars before the Paris ride!

Does anyone have any experience with these bikes, or recommendations around other £1000 bikes?

In researching, I've also considered the Specialized allez elite, Planet X pro carbon, boardman team carbon, cube attain sl, plus orbea and ribble options

Cheers!

Comments

• tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I went for a Boardman team carbon last November when I had chance via the cycle2work scheme but was limited to Halfords so didnt look at the ones you state or other models.
    Nice bike as it was my first after a long period of cars!! and can say for the money its a good bit of kit.
    I managed to get it at £750 as it was at £800 when I arranged the C2W payments but went down that same weekend by £50 but the staff were great saying well we will honour that £750 so use the other on accessories. :D
    lots of reviews state the frame is very good and a starter point for a few upgrades so I dont intend to change soon.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    B'Twin do an aluminium Ultegra equipped bike for a grand.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Which scheme does your company offer and when do you get the voucher?
  • I test rode both the Trek and the Giant, to be honest as they were the first road bikes ive ridden i really didnt notice any difference as it wasnt back to back.
    I ended up saving a bundle of cash on a 2016 Giant Defy, the predecessor to the Contend SL other wise likely to of been the contend i would of gone for.
  • rob12md
    ChippyK wrote:
    B'Twin do an aluminium Ultegra equipped bike for a grand.

The B'Twin stuff looks really good - I'm a big fan of their clothing, it's cheap & good quality, perfect for the commute.

I didn't think they participated in cycle to work schemes, or I would have considered them!
  • rob12md

I'm not sure unfortunately, I'm joining a new company in October so won't find out exactly until then...
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    rob12md wrote:

I'm not sure unfortunately, I'm joining a new company in October so won't find out exactly until then...

Probably not a lot of point looking now as it will massively influence things e.g. no point looking at PlanetX, Ribble or Boardman if you have an Evans voucher. Hopefully be some bargains just about left in October as the 2018 models come in from July onwards.
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    rob12md wrote:

Is there any probationary period? - Had to wait 6 months before being eligible for C2W with current employer