wednesday nuke 'em til they glow then shoot 'em in the dark

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    sungod wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Currently listening to Catch-22 on audiobook and wondering which one of you would make a good Yossarian. Leaning towards Pinno at the moment.

surely pinno is orr - laying the perfect concrete floor in the tent, building the fireplace, the fuel feed, etc.
    And warm hearted, simple minded gnome? You may have a point.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Currently listening to Catch-22 on audiobook and wondering which one of you would make a good Yossarian. Leaning towards Pinno at the moment.

You should ask Yossie.
    You're definitely one of the characters, I'm just not sure which yet :D e.

Flattery!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

You should ask Yossie.
    Yossie was named after Yossarian? I had know idea! :D .

Yup - I believe so. I'll ask him over a beer tonight.
    give him my regards.
  • Matthewfalle
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

You should ask Yossie.

give him my regards.

Will do.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    seanoconn wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

surely pinno is orr - laying the perfect concrete floor in the tent, building the fireplace, the fuel feed, etc.
    And warm hearted, simple minded gnome? You may have a point.

do you know the ending of the book?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    I did overdose on radiation today, the solar kind... a bit sunburnt after a day on the beach. Fine dinner out this evening too. This holiday thing is rather nice for a change, even if it does involve hanging out with my family more than I'd like at times..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I ran a half marathon on Thursday last week, still can't walk properly. Pharmacist thought it was a stress fracture but I didn't want to go to A&E in Ft William the day before the MTB worldcup as it might have been a tad busy and now it doesn't hurt so much so it's probably fine...

Warned ya didn't I?

Seriously running is rubbish. Really rubbish.

You were right. It was unpleasant. The GF has signed us up to do the Edinburgh marathon next May so I thought I'd go out and see what I could do, I ran really far from the house then regretted it

All that means is that you will collapse in the middle of nowhere in Edinburgh and have your limp but still alive carcass ripped apart by buckfast drinking krocodil taking neds ensuring a slow and ridiculously painful death.

Should give me some motivation, I'm faster than the GF so atleast she will create a suitable distraction while I crawl away. The amount she's been moaning about training for the NC500 in August I'm genuinely shocked she's signed up for the Marathon, still, she seems motivated so I don't want to put her off
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    edited June 2017
    Girl in the bed opposite seems to have most of her extended family visiting so Eve isn't getting much sleep.

The lunchtime jackanory.

When I were a lad* in 'Naam (Cheltenaam), hip op No.2. I awoke and next to me was this bloke - Ernie. He was of the tribe Bartlett. He was tall, so tall they put cushions on the end of the thing that slides out of the bottom of the bed.
    In thick, deepest Bourton on the water spake "Yoo bin asleep a while. You're a bit young..." He was 72 and had a full knee replacement.
    On my right, was Melvyn. Melvyn came in that day and Ernie was getting shifted to country bumpkin hospital in Stow the day after. Melvyn was also of the Bartlett tribe and needed a knee op. Visiting times consisted of extra chairs commandeered from everywhere and anywhere as a coach load of the Bartlett's would arrive and a mother of some Bartlett commiserating with how thin I was and how I needed feeding up. So she brought me pancakes and various assortment of baking on a daily basis in a big round tin :roll: It took some effort to distribute/eat/dispose of the fayre with such regularity.
    Across the way was a bloke from Tewkesbury and another bed was occupied by a bloke from Toddington (Glos.). They refused to talk to each other. Toddington bloke had arms thick as tree trunks and a square aris. His wife brought in sandwiches and a flask every day for him to eat at lunchtime. The definitive stereotypical farmer.

A week later, Melvyn is getting twitchy anticipating getting shifted to Stow, just like Ernie.
    He asks me if he knew how he would get there. I said ask the nurse.
    In very tentative fashion (as if the nurse had sharp teeth and claws) he says:

M "E...e...excuse me miss, is is i I be shifted the moarnin'?"
    N "Yes, that's the plan".
    M " 'Is Ernie going 'ome?"
    N "Why do you ask?"
    M "'Cos I figures I's cood 'ave his bed"
    [Puzzled look from nurse]
    M "How i'll get there?"
    N "Either a taxi or an ambulance"
    M "If it's a hambulance or a taxi, will it come from Stow or from Cheltenham?"
    [Very puzzled look on the nurses face]
    N "What difference does that make?"
    I decided to chip in:
    Me "'Cos if the transport is from Cheltenham, it will be a car and if it's from Stow, it will be a 'orse and cart"

A long pregnant silence followed. A frown on Mervyn's brow... My mind raced as I tried to anticipate me being murdered... would it be the arsenic in the pancakes or the thunder of horses hooves or a chair across the back...

Nurse looks at me. Mervyn looks straight into my eyes and says:
    "Yep, he's right ye know - and they'll have to 'itch up hextra 'orse to get over 'ill".

We we're all in kinks. For all their 'earthiness', they had a great sense of humour. More than could be said about those f*ckers in Cinderford [see Jackanory No.3]. Which leads on to Jackanory No.2 and I don't give a fook if you can't be bothered to read it, as MRS probably needs something to do and a distraction.

Jackanory No.2

If you're in Bourton, you can always recognise a Bartlett - they all have tache's and most of the men had them too.
    I was driving through one fine summer's day and there at a road junction; where the A436 and the A429 (Whiteshoots Hill) meet and there is a small triangle of what was then a flower bed.
    I had a nice view form the truck. Two men both dressed in council gear, one lying down and the other (Melvyn's younger brother, or nephew or cousin or the product of some other event) was digging away. I looked him in the eye and shouted out of the cab:
    "That's a damn funny place to bury him [pointing at bloke lying down in the sun] and you'll ruin your onions"
    Back came the familiar hard stare and the pause...
    "Shallots" came the reply.

Of course, these people are slowly being driven out of the Cotswold's by the poshies and the MRS's.
    Some might call it a travesty, others, a blessing.

Tomorrow but only by request, Jackanory No.3.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,457
    Pinno wrote:
    I want in. Let's see... i'll make sure the hookers and blow come up to your high standards before your use*.
    *Shouldn't be hard :roll:
    I'm sure Seano will be thrilled at the prospect of stirring your porridge.

Busy day today - somehow managed to have two lunchtime meetings so just coming up for air (and food). Also quite knackered as I was pushing it a bit on the ride in (can't let a girl overtake you on a bike even if she is RLJ'ing). I think I've earned my ice cold 8.2% ABV cider this evening.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Pinno wrote:
    Tomorrow but only by request, Jackanory No.3.

I'd like Jackanory No.3. I used to like Jackanory as a kid. Will Bernard Cribbins be reading in authentic Gloucestershire accents?
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I want in. Let's see... i'll make sure the hookers and blow come up to your high standards before your use*.
    *Shouldn't be hard :roll:
    I'm sure Seano will be thrilled at the prospect of stirring your porridge.

Beggars can't be choosers.

@Hopkins B: Err... don't think the budget stretches that far.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    TLW1 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I ran a half marathon on Thursday last week, still can't walk properly. Pharmacist thought it was a stress fracture but I didn't want to go to A&E in Ft William the day before the MTB worldcup as it might have been a tad busy and now it doesn't hurt so much so it's probably fine...

Warned ya didn't I?

But a full trail marathon will be easier won't it?

No - all it means is that you'll collapse from knee ebolaids in the middle of nowhere and have your limp yet still alive carcass ripped apart by wolves and bears, giving you a ridiculously painful and slow death.

When it happens can I have your watch?

Son has first dips on the running watch and good watch
  • Matthewfalle
    TLW1 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Warned ya didn't I?

No - all it means is that you'll collapse from knee ebolaids in the middle of nowhere and have your limp yet still alive carcass ripped apart by wolves and bears, giving you a ridiculously painful and slow death.

Oh.

In that case, any socks going?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    TLW1 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Warned ya didn't I?

First dips?
  • Matthewfalle
    I too noticed that but it down to either a) stooopid spelling machine corrector or b)TLW1 being a modern day Fagan.

One of the two.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    The latter, Couldn't have described him more succinctly. He only runs to work to save money.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    The latter, Couldn't have described him more succinctly. He only runs to work to save money.

When his knees get ebolaids that will learn him.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    I too noticed that but it down to either a) stooopid spelling machine corrector or b)TLW1 being a modern day Fagan.

One of the two.
    I too examined the options and discovered that p & b are nowhere near each other on a keyboard and it isn't auto correct. So my conclusion is that TLW1 Actually though it was first dips :lol: Good job he's not at school anymore or the idiot could get bullied for things like that.
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    Have you not read catch-22?
  • Matthewfalle
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Picked it up and started reading it again just earlier due to you. Now the bambini are moaning that they haven't been fed.

Should they die from no food disease in the next 12 minutes (or go into total little shyyyt meltdown) I shall blame you and send TLW's minion she out to steal all your stuff.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:

One of the two.
    I too examined the options and discovered that p & b are nowhere near each other on a keyboard and it isn't auto correct. So my conclusion is that TLW1 Actually though it was first dips :lol: Good job he's not at school anymore or the idiot could get bullied for things like that.

I see what you did there.

I think he had jacket potatoes on his mind at the time. Haven't you heard? Dipping your jacket spud in say... curry sauce is haute cuisine in Dudley
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Warned ya didn't I?

First dips?
    Haven't you seen 'Pulp Fiction'?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

One of the two.

I see what you did there.

I think he had jacket potatoes on his mind at the time. Haven't you heard? Dipping your jacket spud in say... curry sauce is haute cuisine in Dudley

OR as they say up there: Doooodleey.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Picked it up and started reading it again just earlier due to you. Now the bambini are moaning that they haven't been fed.

Should they die from no food disease in the next 12 minutes (or go into total little shyyyt meltdown) I shall blame you and send TLW's minion she out to steal all your stuff.
    Bloody brill isn't it, read it for the first time about 20 years ago so I have managed to forget most of it. I'd imagine it's even better if you have a military background.

Just remind bambini about the poor starving children in Africa, works for me every time there's a grumble about food.
  • Matthewfalle
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Bloody brill isn't it, read it for the first time about 20 years ago so I have managed to forget most of it. I'd imagine it's even better if you have a military background.

Just remind bambini about the poor starving children in Africa, works for me every time there's a grumble about food.

Yup - well good, innit. Am going to stop reading it now and save it for flight out on Friday - pork scratchings and a good read I shall what's needed methinks.

Agree re Africa/bambini although I tend to use for everything from food to going to school to not bashing each other......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

You should ask Yossie.

give him my regards.

Yossie says g'day and fairdinkum cobber.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    seanoconn wrote:

One of the two.

Worse mistake - mentioned son and I've actually got two
  • pinno
    MF - now I geddit, you're Cathcart.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

You should ask Yossie.

give him my regards.

There's only two Yossies? :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

You should ask Yossie.

give him my regards.

There's only two Yossies? :wink:

You could make a song about that.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.