My Monster Crossbike, Velobuild

JoostG
JoostG Posts: 189
edited November 2018 in Your road bikes
I was in for something new. Something that could replace my commuter and CX. I wanted more rubber on the ground (more than 28mm for commuting and more than 40mm for unpaved fun) and better breaking (hydraulic discs). The Open UP offers the needed tyre clearance, but the wallet said 'no'. Whilst checking the website of Velobuild (I already ordered a R-022 and R-016) I noticed their Gravelbike frame. They use the same technical solution as Open to support wider tyres. So the fun could start.

First I created a paint job. As a commuter/CX should be dirty, white was the way to go. I had a nice deal on the SRAM Red hydraulic shifter set, and Superstarcomponents had a bargain deal with a set Sentinel 650B (unpaved) and Arc31 disc (commuting). The 'group': Sram red, Campa Chorus crank (53X39), SRAM Force FD, SRAM GX 10 FD and Shimano XTR cassette. And yes, all works fine together.

The first couple of testrides have been great. Even without going to the max I rode a couple of fat PR's on local singletracks.
And it is realy odd to see a '53' when getting unpaved uphill (.... 53x35 :wink: ).

301n6om.jpg

2j10hmd.jpg

2q9juva.jpg

2zirgab.jpg

30agk0x.jpg

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Looks awesome - chapeau.

The harlequin drivetrain might appall the purists but if it works for you then great.

Can you elaborate on the specific frame that you ordered? Just had a look on the Velobuild site and the closest I can see to your frame is the VB-R-066

http://www.velobuildmall.com/vb-r-066-u ... p0085.html

although I'm not sure that one is exactly like your frame.

Also it appears from their frame specs that on some frames you can opt for a standard threaded BSA BB rather than a pressfit. Do you know if that's the case or not. I have an aversion to pressfit so would be interested if BSA BB's were an option
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    epic ! .. I freaking love and want that .... nice build
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Seriously seriously cool - seriously cool.

Top work.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Bugger - I'm going to have to sell my unridden cx bike - I need one of those. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • JoostG
    Thanks for the compliments!

Velobuild took it from their website. They seem to have some big customers (PlanetX OneOne Space Chicken?), and they don't want Velobuild to offer the frame with a price. If you follow below link, you'll find it:
    http://velobuild.com/2017-velobuild-carbon-fiber-gravel-bike-frame_p0095.html

Normally Velobuild offers BSA or pressfit and my pick would be BSA. In this case they only offered BB86 pressfit (but I heard a story about a Dutch guy who ordered a BSA BB). So far no problems and what I read is that BB86 is much better then other press fit systems.

Soon I will take some pics in commuter trim and will post them in this thread.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    That is stunning.....I would love that !
  • Matthewfalle
    Where did you get your stickers done dude?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Absolutely lovely bike!

Did the build go well, nothing on the frame out of line etc...?
  • JoostG
    No stickers used: it is part of the paint job for $ 75,00. The made a mall for the 'brand name'. Sometimes you just love Chinese :lol:

Of course I had to deal with some issues. But looking to the frame there was only 1 issue: the frame comes with liners. Really useful for shifting cables. Of course they won't work with hydraulic brake cables. The front fork was easy, but getting the rear over the BB shell and thru the bended chain/rearstay was a pain in the ass. That costed me 3 hours with trying, trying, etc.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Looks sweet. I'm envious
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • That's a really good looking bike, I loved the space chicken but I think your paint job is nicer. Great work. What do you estimate the all up cost was?
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Is this the same frame as the Space Chicken ?
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    That's simply sublime. Love it.
  • JoostG
    Rokt wrote:
    Is this the same frame as the Space Chicken ?

Don't know, but it looks the same.
  • JoostG
    That's a really good looking bike, I loved the space chicken but I think your paint job is nicer. Great work. What do you estimate the all up cost was?

Approx € 1.815,00 including 2 wheelsets (one for the road, and one off road), and excluding crank and pedals.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    It sure it priddy, Mr.
  • JoostG wrote:
    That's a really good looking bike, I loved the space chicken but I think your paint job is nicer. Great work. What do you estimate the all up cost was?

Approx € 1.815,00 including 2 wheelsets (one for the road, and one off road), and excluding crank and pedals.

That's good value, are you running 650b on the road or 700? I love the fact you can do either. I'm very tempted..
  • JoostG
    650B for unpaved tours and 700c/28 inch when commuting.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Thats very very tidy, very jealous!
  • rinz87
    rinz87 Posts: 1
    JoostG wrote:
    650B for unpaved tours and 700c/28 inch when commuting.

What does it look like with the commuter wheels on? Does the frame/fork look silly?
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Love it!
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I love this bike, I think I need to build something similar for next winter.

regarding the drivetrain I thought I was frankenstein enough with this year's build:-
    - shimano 105 crankset
    - apex shifters
    - tiagra brakes
    - force 22 fd
    - rival wifly rd

but I've been properly outdone!

I've also let myself down on the clearance, hyd discs, carbon frame... I'm saving up.
  • Juraj1711
    Juraj1711 Posts: 29
    Look stuning!
    I find that frame on aliexpress for 450€.
    But i’m litle sceptical about the quality and workmanship.
    What about some kind of waranty or something?
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    Seeing as this is an old post I'd like to ask how those fibrax cable wraps are working out. In my uninformed internet opinion it seems like these solve the problem in the wrong place.

Bit of sticky tape on the frame solution:
    Pros: Hit it with a rock or a cable covered in road grime. The frame won't scratch until the protection wears away. Job done.
    Cons: Looks a bit naff.

Swirly cable wrap solution:
    Pros: Looks schweet
    Cons: If, or should I say when it gets grimy, you've now got a moving flexible bit of sandpaper knocking into the frame slowly rubbing away the paint. Unless you are very careful about not riding in the rain and you wash you bike regularly.

Are my fears unfounded? Or is this the way it actually behaves?
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Im quite tempted by one of these, how is it holding up? Still recommend it?