Are YT MTB'S any good?

nightfly33
nightfly33 Posts: 9
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Ive just bought myself a new bike (Santa Cruz Bronson CC, its a beast). Now my brother is looking for a new bike, he's on holiday so I'm scanning round for him. Does anyone know about or own a YT bike. You get lots of bang for you buck with them, carbon frame, X1 drive train, pike forks etc..seems too good to be true!. I was wondering, with them being a new brand, how safe is the carbon frame. If anyone has some knowledge on this please let me know. Cheers Paul

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think they've been around for about 10 years. Not exactly new.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Yes they are very good. Google YT bikes.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    They are good bikes, Arron Gwin rides downhill for the YT team
  • Cheers, I have googled them and they seem good on tests. I was hoping that someone might reply that owns one, just to get that longer term POV.
  • johnas7
    johnas7 Posts: 39
    ive got the YT capra AL1, its not the carbon one but still very light. Had it just over a year and love it. Ive used it in the alps, les gets, morzine, loads of trail centres, torridon, the lakes and its brilliant. Decent at climbing aswell although other members on here say they are tanks at climbs but i totally disagree. Few others i know have them and love them to.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    swod1 wrote:

Gwin rides for them because they offered him a HUGE pile of cash. He's not doing so well on the YT as he did on Trek or Specialized though.

YT bikes are OK but the customer service is legendarily crap.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    swod1 wrote:

Gwin rides for them because they offered him a HUGE pile of cash. He's not doing so well on the YT as he did on Trek or Specialized though.

YT bikes are OK but the customer service is legendarily crap.

I suspected that would be the case. I was looking at the YT capra pro race as lads who I ride with are on santa cruz but don't want one of them prices are ridiculous especially the new nomad but still riding my mega tr and keeping the 26er alive.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Didn't Gwin win last years series then? First year in competitive WC DH for YT seemed to be a pretty good result!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Russyh wrote:
    Didn't Gwin win last years series then? First year in competitive WC DH for YT seemed to be a pretty good result!

Only just. He certainly didn't dominate the series like he did with Trek. Very unlikely that he'll win this year.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    So first season in DH they win?? Hardly not doing well. I agree it's unlikely he will win this year, but he will certainly be there or there abouts. As for the margin he won by, that's irrelevant. He won, simple as that. Not sure how many other teams win their first season at that level. Arguably Gwin is the best rider in the world, but at that level you need to be on top of your game on the best kit. Hence why I think he is going to struggle this year. The Tues has not moved on (yet) and the competition have!