Shimano XT Wheelset

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
After a major off at the weekend and badly damaging both wheels on my old Scott mountain bike, I'm now looking for a new set but there're 26" and I'm having trouble finding a decent wheel.

I've found a set of Shimano Decore XT a Wiggle for £150 and that's as much as I'd really like to pay, I only use the bike for riding the trails with the kids.

Any opinions on these wheels or any other wheels I should look at would be greatly received.

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    have a look on ebay you should be able to pickup a used good set of stans wheels for 26" on there for around that price. then you will have the choice of going tubeless etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XT is a good solid and dependable wheelset but they aren't light!

Look around a bit and you should be able to find something better.

Which Scott? many of their 26" bikes will take 650B wheels and tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    You don't need Stans to go tubeless. I've got no-name rims on Decathlon bikes running tubeless with gorilla tape, no difficulties.

I'm trying to reconcile having "a major off at the weekned" with "I only use the bike for riding trails with the kids" - you weren't trying to show them how it should be done were you ;-) ?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Yes, you've got it right, I was showing them how it should be done !
    I should know better at my age.

My lads Trek has 27.5" wheels, I'll give them a try tonight when I get home.
    Thanks for the tip.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    larkim wrote:
    You don't need Stans to go tubeless. I've got no-name rims on Decathlon bikes running tubeless with gorilla tape, no difficulties.

I'm trying to reconcile having "a major off at the weekned" with "I only use the bike for riding trails with the kids" - you weren't trying to show them how it should be done were you ;-) ?

Yes I just suggested them as you can pickup decent 2nd stan's wheels for around the budget the poster has to spend in 26"