XT vs SLX groupset

joecamel
joecamel Posts: 81
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Latest versions of both the XT and SLX groupset.
Is there any difference?
Is it worth the extra hundred quid for XT?

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'd say use a mixture of the two like use xt rear mech and shifter but use slx cassette and crank arms. I did notice a difference between slx and xt shifters though so I will always buy the best shifter I can afford unless xtr is on offer which I'd say buy those.

I think the slx m7000 crank arms look nicer than the xt version the finish seems to be better.
  • Couldn't tell you if it's worth the extra, but I have SLX stuff on my bike, albeit from 2011. I think it's great stuff and don't think I'd need anything more.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The shifter has a nicer feel on the XT, the XT parts are also a bit lighter, mechanically they perform identically.

You pays your money......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    The shifter has a nicer feel on the XT, the XT parts are also a bit lighter, mechanically they perform identically.

You pays your money......

yes but if you look at the crank arms on slx m7000 to xt m8000 the finish in my opinion is better on the slx.

Xtr however is very nice, I recently upgraded my mega tr to xtr rear mech and shifter and its is so slick on the gear changes thanks to a mate who offered me them brand new for a very good price as he's now on 11speed :)