smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    DaveP1 wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Tamirm wrote:
    You recommend bib than shorts?

I would recommend bib shorts. They keeps the pad firmly positioned where it should be.

Doesn't your own weight do that?! I'll say it again, my Lusso non-bibs are as comfy as my Morvelo bibs. And a lot more practical in the real world - probably would have saved Dumoulin 90 seconds recently if he hadn't had to take his helmet and jersey off...

Don't you ever ride out of the saddle?
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Just to confuse you even more, I've tried loads and found Madison were fantastic. I love them.

See here... http://www.madison.cc/mens/shorts-trousers
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Over £200 for some lycra and padding is madness, I don't care how much disposable you have.

The number of times I've been inconvenienced because I've needed a dump have been far outweighed by the comfort of bibs. No waist band to dig in, everything stays where it should, more brands to chose from etc.

I'll spend my money how I see fit thank you, if I want a pair of Decathlon Aerofit 900 bibs I'll buy them, if I'm near Shelton Mallet and I fancy some Rapha Pro Team then I'll buy them too.I don't give two flying f*cks about your inverse snobbery, I work hard and earn enough to buy what I want.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I started off with BBB bibs and they were quite poor padwise, and some time later bought some DHB ASV Aerons, they are ok upto around 40 miles. I then splashed out on a couple of pairs of Castelli free aero race shorts, they were much better up to 3 hours for me, then i got uncomfortable.
    Had the Castelli's around 9 months and they stared to get lumpy in the middle of the pad, and just recently i cut one pair up to find this!
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13079626

Which reminds me i still have not heard back from the bike shop...

Anyway, after reading lots on shorts, the Rapha Classic and Core were well recommended and with 25% off recently were £123/£75 a pair respectively so i bought a pair of each and have done 4 hour+ rides in each in relative comfort.
    On longer rides ill use chamois cream as im prone to sores.

But after all that, everyones arse is different so what works for one, probably wont work for everyone.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    ChippyK wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Over £200 for some lycra and padding is madness, I don't care how much disposable you have.

The number of times I've been inconvenienced because I've needed a dump have been far outweighed by the comfort of bibs. No waist band to dig in, everything stays where it should, more brands to chose from etc.

I'll spend my money how I see fit thank you, if I want a pair of Decathlon Aerofit 900 bibs I'll buy them, if I'm near Shelton Mallet and I fancy some Rapha Pro Team then I'll buy them too.I don't give two flying f*cks about your inverse snobbery, I work hard and earn enough to buy what I want.

The overly defensive tone of your response says otherwise, but thanks for replying.
  • rusty_nail
    rusty_nail Posts: 42
    Why are people taking their jerseys off over their head? Don't you just unzip it?
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    robbo2011 wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Tamirm wrote:
    You recommend bib than shorts?

I would recommend bib shorts. They keeps the pad firmly positioned where it should be.

Doesn't your own weight do that?! I'll say it again, my Lusso non-bibs are as comfy as my Morvelo bibs. And a lot more practical in the real world - probably would have saved Dumoulin 90 seconds recently if he hadn't had to take his helmet and jersey off...

Don't you ever ride out of the saddle?

Yeah, but they are lycra for crying out loud! We aren't talking about baggy mountain biker shorts, we're talking proper lycra cycling shorts.
  • davep1
    Craigus89 wrote:
    ...No waist band to dig in, everything stays where it should, more brands to chose from etc.

What waist band?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Dave, i'm glad you have found a solution that works for you.

However, I don't think you are likely to convince many others that non bib are the way forward.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    ...No waist band to dig in, everything stays where it should, more brands to chose from etc.

What waist band?

The band at the top that goes around your waist.

Clue is in the name.
  • davep1
    Craigus89 wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

What waist band?

The band at the top that goes around your waist.

Clue is in the name.

Thanks for pointing that out! :| It's lycra though, so it doesn't dig in any more than the rest of the garment.

As someone who rides over 100 miles a week and has both types of shorts, I think those of you haven't tried a proper set of cycling non bibs are missing out. Some one actually posted earlier he doesn't know anyone serious about cycling who rides in non bibs, how ignorant is that?!

I'm 6 foot tall and 78 kgs, so I'm no tiny lightweight climber or some enormous diesel engined tank either. I don't think my size makes non bibs work as well for me...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Back in the day bib shorts hadn't been invented. You had to wear normal shorts and then braces that clipped on. They were a pain in the ass and if the brace unclipped as you were getting dressed you'd take your eye out... If you didnt have your braces on - your shorts would slip down a bit and start to snag on the saddle nose.

I don't doubt that lycra tech has come on a bit since the 80s - but I'm not convinced. Also never had to do a poo when out on the bike so no benefits there either.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    my favorite shorts and my goto clothing is the Kalf offering from evans.

bear in mind all my rides are 1hr30 max ~25miles

I am 5'11" and 70kg ... they don't dig in, they don't move, fall down, raise up, the pad is good I prefer them to bibs as I don't like the extra clothing under my jersey that just overheats me

in the winter however, bibtights keep the wind out better
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Dunno whats that matter with your'e over sensitive arses, as before I was a "semi" proper lycra clad cyclist I used to go for for rides over 6 hrs round snowdonia in normal baggy shorts & undies with no pad and it was fine.

I don't understand all the obsession with pads bibs chamois cream etc.

I wear some aldi lycra shorts atm that were £3.99 reduced. The pads are abit massive though one some or them.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Rusty Nail wrote:
    Why are people taking their jerseys off over their head? Don't you just unzip it?

Depends if your jersey has a full or half zip. My one and only summer jersey is a half zip which when paired with bibs become a pain the go to the loo. Which reminds me that I need to spend less on bike bits and invest in some decent clothes.