Powermeter - Is it time?

2»

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    HumphUK wrote:
    Why? (genuine question). I am not sure I can easily train to power on the road if I dont use perceived exertion or heart-rate too.

Then why bother with a powermeter if you are using PE/ Heartrate

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... you-45938/
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • stevenmew
    stevenmew Posts: 14
    ben@31 wrote:
    The way I answer the OPs question is... if you cycle all the time and it's your favourite sport or hobby, then go for it, you'll get your money's worth in the long run.
    Theres a lot worse things to spend your money on, I work with guys who p!ss £100 up the wall every weekend on beer and have zero to show for it. At least spending money on cycling keeps you fit and a power meter will last a few years. I've spent £1000s on cycling but when I look at it per mile it's working out cheap.

Couldn't agree more. If you're enjoying cycling and feel like you want to improve then a power meter will help you do that. Obviously having a goal in mind would speed up the process but it isn't essential.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Garmin Vectors are indicated for a maximum weight of 90kg, if I commute on the bike with them on, with a heavy rucksack, there's a chance I'll be over 90kg, how critical is the weight limit?
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    Pickup football clubs for fun still practice. Golfers still hit the range or putting green.

I see a power meter or heart rate training as nothing more than the same, improving your performance for your chosen fun sport.

I've seen people who have ridden for 15 years and may do 100 mi/week. But they can't crack 200w for 20 min or 400w for 1 min. That's because they don't train. They just ride. Nothing wrong with that, but that's more like the equivalent of hiking instead of jogging or running.

I've ridden for only 1 year and use a power meter on a trainer in the gym at work. This has gotten me 75 watts on my ftp in my first year doing intervals, HIIT, etc.

I'd recommend it in some format. To me power is easier for me to train than trying to watch my heart rate. I can equate a power to a hill slope and distance and know how much power I can throw at it for how long. Very useful.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I'm in a similar boat to Dizzee, I've reached a plateau and find it hard to make noticeable improvements. I think a power meter would be the next thing for me, but £500 can get you a nice bike on Ebay and I think I'd rather spend it there.

I have a Garmin which I sometimes let the charge run out on, so switch to my phone in my pocket. Initially I keep looking at my stem for the gadget and numbers that aren't there, and then I get used to it, and enjoy the actual ride more.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I really want a powermeter to add some structure to my training but having BB30 cranks it's difficult to find a decent option.

A few places hire the stages ones for shimano but not BB30.

I was looking at eh powerpod or limits ones
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235

I've seen people who have ridden for 15 years and may do 100 mi/week. But they can't crack 200w for 20 min or 400w for 1 min. That's because they don't train. They just ride. Nothing wrong with that, but that's more like the equivalent of hiking instead of jogging or running.

... maybe they can't be bothered... it needs a certain attitude to go full on... I admit most of the times I can't be bothered. On the other hand, I know people who can only ride full on... needless to say they generally can't go very far
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    Dannbodge wrote:
    I really want a powermeter to add some structure to my training but having BB30 cranks it's difficult to find a decent option.

A few places hire the stages ones for shimano but not BB30.

I was looking at eh powerpod or limits ones

P2M you can get BB30 (Rotor 3D+), or the cheaper option that I went for is BB386 (FSA Gossamer) with an adapter.