How slow are Magic Mary's

fat daddy
fat daddy Posts: 2,605
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
The last tyres I bought for my Meta 5.2 were Continental Vertical .... then I stopped MTBing ... just strated up again and the tyres are shot .. my last trip to Cwmcarn and I ripped 2 of the lugs off :|

So I "need" 2 new tyres

I am not the quickest, I am relatively nervous, and I ride south wales, so Cwmcarn, Afan - not the DH but the trails down AND up

Considering Magic Mary or High Roller II for the front, as they promise outstanding grip, but I am concerned that my bike will be transformed into a heavy arsed biatch that I wont enjoy hauling up the ups

so with a better rolling tyre on the back Nobbly Nic or Hans Dampf ??? ...... how bad are the Magic Marys .. will I regret having awesome grip the first time I go uphill, or if I don't have time to drive to Cwmcarn and just take the road to Ashton vourt in Bristol instead ????

Cheers for the advice

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I don't have Magic Mary but the Hans Dampf, which are apparently a bit faster, though still fairly slow rolling though lot depends on where, on fire roads slow tyres do drag, on rooty awkward climbs not really.
  • fat daddy
    ah, that doesn't sound too bad, CwmCarn and Afan are pretty much straight up followed by straight down,

I am sure I can suffer on the woodland trail days considering that I am way fitter than the guys I ride with and have to wait for them anyway ... well I say way quicker, that's only on the flat and hills ... on the descents my balls climb up my butthole and I am at the back trying to keep up :D
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have a High Roller II on the front and an Ardent on the back; they hum a bit on tarmac but frankly I'd rather have the grip for climbing in wet conditions than worry about speed. These went on the bike a couple of weeks ago to replace a Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph combo - if I'm honest I haven't noticed much difference.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I use Nobby Nics (2.35 trailstar front & 2.25 pacestar rear) and they are great for the places you want to ride. They are not too draggy but have plenty of grip.
    I have used them at Cwmcarn, FoD, BPW, Cannock Chase and on local trails without any problems.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • fat daddy
    I have an NN on order, that I was planning on using as a rear .... perhaps I should try that up front first to see how I get on ... admittedly its a pacestar compound, but I should get an idea o if I like the feel before deciding whether the MM is overkill or I just need a softer NN up front.

I have a feeling the MM is overkill as I will never do Worldcup pace ..... but I am lacking confidence at the moment and want to believe that a tyre can solve my issues rather than just get used to it again
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The NN pacestar is nowhere near as good as the evo compounds, less grip and more drag.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JW599
    JW599 Posts: 30
    I run Conti X-kings and there fantistic rolling tyres with great corning grip - Go for 2.4 as the 2.2s are more like a 2.0, and get the protection version as these have the red chili compound. I've read reviews that other compunds are not so good.

I'm on 600+ miles and they still look new.

Almost silent on concrete. Hardpack/dry I swap the rear for the race king.
  • fat daddy
    pacestar MORE drag ??? ... why do so many people use it on the back then ... or just longevity
  • The Rookie
    They are cheapskates......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fat daddy
    errr, just looked mine up with the possible intent of cancelling the order .... its not a pacestar compound its Gatestar ? ... WTF is gatestar ? ... no mention of that on schwalbe
  • The Rookie
    Gatestar is for 4x (where it's a gated start...) and super soft, I have a pair and put them on for days when downhill grip is more important than faster rolling, they are very soft and on warm/dry days on a grippy surface you can tear the knobs off. Cannock is never grippy enough to do that!

https://www.schwalbetires.com/triple_star_compound_page

For some reason Gatestar seems to disappear from any page under /gb/!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    what about some maxxis minions?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Rookie wrote:
    The NN pacestar is nowhere near as good as the evo compounds, less grip and more drag.

The Pacestar I have is EVO compound.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    This might help:
    http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
    Seems to be good testing methodology, but how much of that translates into off road use, I'm not sure.