Plymouth to London

WillMedic
WillMedic Posts: 26
edited August 2017 in Tour & expedition
Having picked up the cycling bug and enjoying beginning to check out the longer routes on my shiny new hybrid (recently did a decent portion of the 27 from Plymouth into Dartmoor and back again) am seeing how people get a real buzz out of travelling longer distances.

My Dad used to cycle long distances 50-60 years ago when he was younger (from his home in London to North Wales and North Devon, on A roads when traffic was a lot lighter!) Nowadays traffic is a lot heavier, and certainly don't fancy cycling on the A38...but I see on the Sustrans website a fair few recommended routes have appeared.

Am considering working up towards a marathon trek to cycle from Plymouth to my parents house in London, just for the hell of it and my dad could join me for a bit of it! It seems in getting from Plymouth to Richmond Park (close enough to my parents house to easily make my way there without any issues) there are 2 options, use NCR 4 and 3 (with a northerly divert across Dartmooor before Exeter to get to the route) or use 2 across the south coast till 23 from Southampton that tends to be somewhat intermittent (particularly between Totnes and Dawlish!)

Anyone had any experience of using these cycle routes for sustained distances? Any tips? It seems the 4/3 route is prettier overall with more old train route/towpath use but distance wise longer?

Comments