Spoke nipple seized?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Sons rear wheel has gone out of true and a fair few of the spokes are very slack (poor ongoing maintenance on our part).

Trying to tighten them up with a spoke key, but both the nipple and the spoke are both rotating. Either the spoke is seized in the nipple or it is loctited in place. Any suggestions for freeing it? There are multiple spokes being like this.

An associated question is if the spokes are seized like this, how do they get loose in the first place?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Don't think the spokes will have loctite on, they are meant to be tightened/loosened. Take the tyre off and spray with wd40 or similar.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • larkim
    I've read that manufacturers do sometimes put loctite on spoke threads, but tbh don't know if they did on these.

Not sure what benefit taking the tyre off would do (it's tubeless so I'd prefer not to do that if I can). I won't be using wd40 as I don't think I've got any water to disperse, but I was considering trying to get a release agent like plus gas in from the spoke side. Will be trying that today. Just wondered if this was generally a common issue?
  • bobbydigital
    bobbydigital Posts: 254
    I've bought nipples before that had thread lock on them as standard, it was a pain in the butt to tension them at the end, personally wouldn't use those kind again.

You could try using chain lube on the nipples/threads, soak them overnight for a few days with some crack off or equivalent, otherwise you might need to use some pliers to hold the spoke whilst you turn the nipples.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even without thread lock a little corrosion and muck can cause a spoke to twist when trying to turn the nipple, sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and take it far enough to 'break' the nipple free, as indicated a little light lube like GT85 can help, don't use a 'proper' corrosive penetrating oil as there isn't enough metal there to cope.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    Cheers for replying.

I did use a gentle squirt of plus gas, hopefully that's not too corrosive (would you say it is, Rookie?) and with a firm grip of a spoke I managed to get them to move freely. Hopefully I've not weakened the spoke at all, but no doubt we'll find out at some point!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Id try not to use plus gas (though it is undoubtedly better at freeing seized threads) if you can.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    Cheers, it had never really occurred to me that it was corrosive to anything other than rust or similar.