help re fueling after night shift for a ride

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
hello. i have worked nights for 10 years so always found training hard but recently changed jobs. i am now working a very physical shift in a warehouse. i don't feel too bad when i walk ut but i have a good 30-40 min drive home and by then my legs just go on me. i have managed a little turbo but no more then 30 mins, and that really pushing me. does anyone have ideas for what i can have on the way home to get some energy back int he legs, i don't know wether to get a big dose of caffeine but risk keeping myself awake when i need to go to bed. anyone else with a similar situation would be great.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    ianbar wrote:
    hello. i have worked nights for 10 years so always found training hard but recently changed jobs. i am now working a very physical shift in a warehouse. i don't feel too bad when i walk ut but i have a good 30-40 min drive home and by then my legs just go on me. i have managed a little turbo but no more then 30 mins, and that really pushing me. does anyone have ideas for what i can have on the way home to get some energy back int he legs, i don't know wether to get a big dose of caffeine but risk keeping myself awake when i need to go to bed. anyone else with a similar situation would be great.

Hi mate, been in standing up employment for years and the following things can help with heavy/tired legs after work, but obviously, if you are on your feet all day, there is only so much you can do. Aside from the obvious quality insoles I use these things, in no order but all helpful. Of course, if you are talking energy levels than as per usual upping you calorie intake to match your hours can help. I suspect many people do long shifts and eat hardly enough fuel during the day, thus impacting a 'bike ride' / training session.

1. A cold foot spa. Get the blood out of the feet. A cheap plastic tub can suffice, cold water with ice cubes .

2. Drive home in or change into knee length compression socks when you leave work. Massive help in getting the blood moving.

3. Quad compression can help too.

4. Foam roller.

5. Hot baths followed by showering the legs in cold water.

6. The biggest paradox is that riding to and from work is the best remedy as gets the legs moving/blood flowing and shakes out the day. I do about 100 miles a week commuting and great base mile training etc. Had the week off this week as father in law died last week and managed a ride yesterday and legs like stones as 6 days off the bike.

I feel your pain. Hope this helps.

Pete.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Funny how we are all different. I was a carpenter for 10 years and found riding or running was no problem straight after work but now moving to a less physical job from home where I can get out during the day I find my legs 'blocked' quite often. Almost as if I need the blood to be pumping throughout the day to feel at my best. Could be an age thing too, I'm 29.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    thank you for your replies. i think part of my problem is my down time driving home. i have done this job for 8 month snow before that i did same hours and slightly less physical job...but only a bit. the main difference was a 3 mile drive home rather then 25! i may well change my shoes for the drive home as i do wear steel toe caps and they are to the most comfortable of things. i may try the compression socks too. i have increased my eating...all the wrong stuff! i will get my head on regarding my eating tomorrow.

riding too and from would be great45-50 round trip i would do that even just twice a week. unfortunately not really possible as there is no where i would feel safe enough to leave my bike..no matter what lock i used!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    ianbar wrote:
    thank you for your replies. i think part of my problem is my down time driving home. i have done this job for 8 month snow before that i did same hours and slightly less physical job...but only a bit. the main difference was a 3 mile drive home rather then 25! i may well change my shoes for the drive home as i do wear steel toe caps and they are to the most comfortable of things. i may try the compression socks too. i have increased my eating...all the wrong stuff! i will get my head on regarding my eating tomorrow.

riding too and from would be great45-50 round trip i would do that even just twice a week. unfortunately not really possible as there is no where i would feel safe enough to leave my bike..no matter what lock i used!

93-99 I worked in haulage and I used to ride in and lift my bike up with the fork lift and put it up on the top rack of a racking system away from eyes and hands. Rob used to lift me up with my bike. Highly dangerous of course but worth it.