tyres for alps.

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Sorry for probably asking a question that has been asked many times before but could use a bit of guidance.
I'm running a specialized butcher up front and a specialized purgatory grid on the rear of my bike on easton haven carbon rims setup tubeless. I am perfectly happy with them and they havent been on long.
I'm off to Morzine in mid August for a weeks riding :D . Having never ridden in the Alps before I have no idea if these tyres will be up to the job (durability / puncture protection wise). Do I really need to go up to dual ply tyres???
I was hoping to buy a spare of what I have on so if I tear a tyre I have one ready to go on and will be used to the level of grip they offer.
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I went to the alps last year and had Easton Arc27 rims Butcher up front and a High Roller on the rear I run a dual compound not the 3C,Morzine can get a tad muddy at times so I would take a Magic Mary as well,butcher and HR would be fine
  • I decided to order some new tyres up for my trip but just wanted to check they will be suitable for my setup and the terrain in the alps and also that they will be an improvementover the specialized i am currently running.
    So my bike is a yeti sb66 and i am taking a set of 150 fox 34s and 160 fox 36s (will probably run the 36s im guessing) and my rims are easton haven carbon.
    The tyres i have ordered are continental trail kings b/c apex protection 2.4.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • eric_draven
    If the Trail kings are the new Rubber Queens,I would sooner run Butcher Grid and a HR,it is what i was running on a Transition Patrol last year,and it's what I would run in my Tranny Scout if I was going this year,I ran Rubber Queens about 4 years ago in the alps and they were ok,but I preferred my last choice of tyres
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't buy Schwalbe tyres for the alps. They'll be dead within two or three days riding. My favourite tyres for alpine riding are Maxxis High Roller dual ply in a nice soft compound.
  • I'm hoping to have caught merlin before dispatching the conti's with an email to cancel the order.
    As this holiday is a real treat for me I'm going to get some top end 3c tr exo maxxis! :D

Just need to choose between running a Minion DHF up front or a HR2
    and weather it be a Minion DHR 2 or HR2 on the rear

I dont really want to lug a spare tyre out there if I dont need to, so will I be able to pick up a top end maxxis 26" in resort still? (if I ruin one on the trail)
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • eric_draven
    Buy the dual compound 62/60a HR's not the 3c they are not as tough,I ride in the lake district quite regular and will not use the 3c there,a butcher grid will be tough enough up front
  • surely with the EXO protection they will be just a tough as any maxxis single ply tyre?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • eric_draven
    I use the the dual 62/60a exo TR version 2.3"
    www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/maxx ... prod133186
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would make sure there's at least one spare tyre between you and your mates in each wheel size. Cut tyres aren't uncommon out there and don't expect to get any bargain tyres in the Alps!
  • eric_draven
    I would make sure there's at least one spare tyre between you and your mates in each wheel size. Cut tyres aren't uncommon out there and don't expect to get any bargain tyres in the Alps!
    It's slightly cheaper than Whistler but not by much,saying that I had to buy a set of brakes in Les Gets about 15 years ago when my early Hope brakes boiled 2 sets of seals after 3 days,and they weren't cheap,back to Rockmonkey's comment having a spare tyre is not a bad idea