Raid Alpine - Training for a 6 day event (740km, 16,300m ascent)

DMurph23
DMurph23 Posts: 26
Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice on how to prep/train for an event I'm doing this summer. It's 6 consecutive days and it promises to be a great experience.

How would you suggest I prepare for this? I cycle often and seem competent on the climbs but I have never done anything like this.

My strava profile is below for reference
https://www.strava.com/athletes/5165917

Comments

• FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Lose weight increase FTP,
    you are riding six long days in a row, bike fit to reduce repetitive strain problems such as sore Arse and feet,
    clothes need to be washed and dried, or have enough of them. the mountains may be very hot or cold and wet or all three.
    Descents maybe dangerous and the bends are not signposted. the descent off the Cime de la Bonette is 50 odd km
    http://www.flammerouge.je/factsheets/doidescend.htm
    Climbs will take you 1-2 hours depending on your level of fitness. you need to have a nutrition and hydration plan.
    Bikes break perhaps have spare spokes and derailleur hanger, new brake pads or spare ones plus the usual inner tubes.
    Before you go you should have your bike serviced, new tyres about 3 weeks before you go so that you can make sure it all works before you leave for your "holiday"
    I suggest the lowest gears that will fit your derailleur. 50/34 32/11 although many people have done that ride with less easy gearing. you want to be able to keep your cadence in your comfort zone whilst cycling up some very long climbs, some of which are 10%. last part of the Bonette is 15%.
  • DMurph23
    DMurph23 Posts: 26
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for your reply. I particularly liked the link - what a guide to descending! The only risk is that I'll crash whilst preoccupied trying to remember it all :)

There's some good advice in your message. I have considered/prepared some of what you said, but spare brake pads, derailleur hanger etc is a good shout. As is the new tyres suggestion. Given the proximity I'm a bit nervous about any bike fit or set-up changes; it's probably not 100% but it's working for me at the moment.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Damon
    FatTed wrote:
    Lose weight increase FTP,
    you are riding six long days in a row, bike fit to reduce repetitive strain problems such as sore ars* and feet,
    clothes need to be washed and dried, or have enough of them. the mountains may be very hot or cold and wet or all three.
    Descents maybe dangerous and the bends are not signposted. the descent off the Cime de la Bonette is 50 odd km
    http://www.flammerouge.je/factsheets/doidescend.htm
    Climbs will take you 1-2 hours depending on your level of fitness. you need to have a nutrition and hydration plan.
    Bikes break perhaps have spare spokes and derailleur hanger, new brake pads or spare ones plus the usual inner tubes.
    Before you go you should have your bike serviced, new tyres about 3 weeks before you go so that you can make sure it all works before you leave for your "holiday"
    I suggest the lowest gears that will fit your derailleur. 50/34 32/11 although many people have done that ride with less easy gearing. you want to be able to keep your cadence in your comfort zone whilst cycling up some very long climbs, some of which are 10%. last part of the Bonette is 15%.