Planet X London Road - Flat Bar Conversion

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited June 2017 in Your road bikes
Having finished my build on the Planet X Pro Carbon frame (already posted here) I turned my attention to the conversion of my Planet X London Road for the benefit of my grandson. Did a build for him about 18 months ago (viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12991733&p=19167998#p19167998) which he has now well and truly grown out of (he's sprouted at least a foot in that time and the frame is way too small)

Drop bars on the London Road would not suit him so I volunteered to convert the bike from the configuration I was riding up until a week or so ago (NB the TRP Spyres are not standard spec - I swapped the Avid BB7's for these as I much preferred them)

21719888530_ebd2350f51.jpg

to a flat bar set-up with the following outcome

26582574452_84e24f9d45.jpg

26649148646_dc0a7027fd_b.jpg

Main changes were the addition of the Ritchey WCS flat bars fitted with SRAM S-700 shifters, SRAM BL700 Brake Levers and Lizard Skins Lock-On Mini Machine grips. The rest of the groupset was as supplied originally (SRAM Rival 22 with 50/34 chainset and 11-32 cassette). I swapped my Fizik Arione over to the Pro Carbon and fitted an SQLab 611 saddle that I had lying around. He may ask to have the saddle from the Genesis but that's a 2 minute job to swap it if he wants.

I drew the line at bequething my Moonglu handbuilt wheelset since he is planning to do the majority of his riding on tracks and trails. The Moonglu's were replaced with a set of Maddux 2.0 disc wheels (courtesy of Daniel B of this parish) shod with some appropriate tyres for his planned riding (Clement LAS 700x33c file tread type). I've also fitted some flats as he would not welcome clip-on pedals of any description.

Few more pics at this link https://www.flickr.com/photos/39387382@ ... 7464980822

Have ridden it for a quick 7 mile thrash and it rides well even with the heavier wheels and the knobbly tyres. Shifters and brakes are all fine so I'm quite pleased with the outcome

Comments

• dkoor
    dkoor Posts: 28
    Very nice... I'm building something similar, practically same flat bar mechanics, SRAM road triggers and I'm looking into good brake levers that would work with my mechanical disc brakes. I'm riding Kona Rove 2013 that uses mechanical Hayes CX-5 brakes and SRAM BL-700 looks like a good option but they are advertised as hydraulic brakes?

PS. sorry for "necroing" thread.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    dkoor wrote:
    Very nice... I'm building something similar, practically same flat bar mechanics, SRAM road triggers and I'm looking into good brake levers that would work with my mechanical disc brakes. I'm riding Kona Rove 2013 that uses mechanical Hayes CX-5 brakes and SRAM BL-700 looks like a good option but they are advertised as hydraulic brakes?

PS. sorry for "necroing" thread.

No probs applying the Lazarus effect to my old thread. Just returned from hols so belated response to your query/observation about the brake levers.

They are not as you mention for hydraulic brakes - they are for normal mechanical disc or other cable operated braking systems. I got mine from BikeDiscount, the German website, but they don't currently have them advertised. They are available from Bike24 however at about £30 a pop

https://www.bike24.com/p228278.html

BTW - my grandson is still riding the converted London Road but he is now even taller so it might be getting a tad small for him. I can feel a new build project hoving into view
  • dkoor
    dkoor Posts: 28
    Thanks for the reply :) .