Fun Fast Frameset For Around A Grand

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    letap73 wrote:
    fatdaz wrote:
    I've decided to go 53-39 chainset and 11-25 cassette but put SRAM etap on it. Is this forbidden unnecessary weight?

TBH I'm interested in etap and will probably stick it on one of the other bikes but I like the idea of this bike being "clean" and lovely

Unless somebody corrects me - Etap being preodominantly Red and having less wires involved should still be very light. It should go very well with the Bowman Palace.

Yes.

This.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    fatdaz wrote:
    TBH I'm interested in etap and will probably stick it on one of the other bikes but I like the idea of this bike being "clean" and lovely

Oh no, I shouldn't have mentioned the Bowman. If you're going etap you've got to change your mind and get a frame with no internal or external cable routing to get that uber "clean" and lovely look! You can't be half a bike tart, you're either in or out.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    fatdaz wrote:

Oh no, I shouldn't have mentioned the Bowman. If you're going etap you've got to change your mind and get a frame with no internal or external cable routing to get that uber "clean" and lovely look! You can't be half a bike tart, you're either in or out.

Yes.

This.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    fatdaz wrote:

Are the cable guides not removeable - for the nice clean finish you are looking for?
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    letap73 wrote:
    fatdaz wrote:

Are the cable guides not removeable - for the nice clean finish you are looking for?

Rubber grommets covering holes up. The very idea offends.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm glad that there are people like this about. I (car) race against people who are obsessed by appearance. I invariably beat them and, slightly bizarrely given their obsession with detail (the wrong details obviously), they seeming break down far more often.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imposter2.0
    letap73 wrote:
    fatdaz wrote:

The Bowman Palace (assuming that's the frame we're talking about) has welded-on external cable bosses.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The new Bowman palace has removeable cable guides - the vacant bosses won't apparently look so bad:
    "Maintenance friendly, external cable routing remains for mechanical shifting but removable guides and ports allow for super clean electronic shifting installs."
    https://bowman-cycles.com/product/palace-r/
  • imposter2.0
    letap73 wrote:
    The new Bowman palace has removeable cable guides - the vacant bosses won't apparently look so bad:
    "Maintenance friendly, external cable routing remains for mechanical shifting but removable guides and ports allow for super clean electronic shifting installs."

The new one might - the old one certainly didn't...(make sure you get the right one)

Bowman%20Palace%20-%20cable%20routing.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

The new one might - the old one certainly didn't...(make sure you get the right one)

That's the old one.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    I'm glad that there are people like this about. I (car) race against people who are obsessed by appearance. I invariably beat them and, slightly bizarrely given their obsession with detail (the wrong details obviously), they seeming break down far more often.

Great. Well done.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meanredspider

Great. Well done.

Nothing to do with me - just pointing out the misguidedness of obsessing about appearance (for appearance sake) of mechanical objects - especially as you hardly look at the thing when you're riding a bike. I can only assume it's a form of vanity but I might be wrong.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Matthewfalle

Great. Well done.

Nothing to do with me - just pointing out the misguidedness of obsessing about appearance (for appearance sake) of mechanical objects - especially as you hardly look at the thing when you're riding a bike. I can only assume it's a form of vanity but I might be wrong.

Strange.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meanredspider

Great. Well done.

Strange.

Coming from you, MF, I take that as the highest form of complement :wink::D
  • Matthewfalle
    Commended.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

Speedy!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

That's the old one.

obvious.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

That's the old one.

obvious.

Salacious.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Sausagious
  • Matthewfalle
    Salivating.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'll muddy the waters.

I was looking for a "Fun Fast Frameset For Around A Grand" and eventually settled on Condor's Italia RC. I'm mid-build.

The finish on the frame - as you might expect - is stunning.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    Not really the nicest looking though is it?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

It's still only an ALLEZ. And those welds around the headtube just look awful. Like a bad cut-and-shut ford capri.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Not really the nicest looking though is it?

I disagree.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    You could look at the kinesis aithein frame set as another alternative, maybe...

• It's still only an ALLEZ. And those welds around the headtube just look awful. Like a bad cut-and-shut ford capri.

So what? I'm not particularly bothered by branding.

The old S-Works E5 Aerotec (which is essentially what this is), is still probably one of the best frames I've ever had- and I've had a few in my 32 year long bike riding history :oops: inc steel, alu, Ti, carbon.....

Fun....fast, and in this day n' age of New Age choppers in races (esp crits), fairly expendable if worst should happen.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Viner Maxima RS 4.0 from PX?

Under a grand, light, race geometry and looks good too.

OK its from PX and probably manufactured in the far east but aren't most carbon bikes these days?

Only managed to find a couple of reviews on this which were all positive
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

It's still only an ALLEZ. And those welds around the headtube just look awful. Like a bad cut-and-shut ford capri.
    This was my pick up thread, I think they look good. Appreciate they're a bit marmite though.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Pretty much finished now. Just had a quick nip around the block, and the bike feels fantastic - really lively.

I think I can lose a spacer on the headset, and a longer stem is needed, but that's about it.

I will try and post something in "Your Road Bikes" by the weekend.

Pete

IMG_4222_zpsjqc6srmo.jpg