Should i keep or return road bike

moam293
moam293 Posts: 4
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Recently bought a bike that was marked down like 20% or so, Although on the listing, they had mentioned a small mark on the headpost, which was why the bike was discounting, unfortunately at the time of buying, somehow this completely slipped by me.

Now am in two minds as to what to do in that should i keep it or return, the mark itself is about 1cm in length as in the pics ... to me it looks like a paint scuff,

I figured I'd confer with the experts, images below

PfWyOhttp://imgur.com/a/PfWyO
x1988http://imgur.com/a/x1988

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you want and like the bike, keep it

It you don't want and don't like the bike, return.

They have been upfront, declared the pain scratch and discounted it suitably so they have played the game as required.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • moam293

They have been upfront, declared the pain scratch and discounted it suitably so they have played the game as required.

Im in no way suggesting that they havent been upfront, given i am new to this, im just trying to determine, if typically its symptomatic of something else being wrong with the bike. i.e. will it break, lead to more issues

I have no issue with the dealer that sold it
  • moam293 wrote:

Im in no way suggesting that they havent been upfront, given i am new to this, im just trying to determine, if typically its symptomatic of something else being wrong with the bike. i.e. will it break, lead to more issues

It does look quite a deep scratch down to the carbon layer, but its rideable unless you fall off and die, then its not.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    moam293 wrote:

It does look quite a deep scratch down to the carbon layer, but its rideable unless you fall off and die, then its not.

I agree - the dying bit may put a dampener on your day.

If you die on it please don't blame Sloppy or me but can I have your shoes?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    moam293 wrote:

Well, its carbon, the paint forms a protective layer over the carbon, carbon warps and wefts when in contact with water and moisture and it's been raining recently, so .....

Now, I'm I'm not saying that perhaps I wouldn't ride it not knowing if it had warped or wefted, but .......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A scratch on the front is not symptomatic of anything worse than a scratch on the front. It's no more likely to break than an unscratched one. For 20% off I'd be happy riding it. It's not like you can even see the blemish as you ride.
  • Matthewfalle
    Just make sure to dry the bugger properly if it gets wet.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Unless you live underwater, most things will air-dry naturally.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The damage looks superficial. It's unlikely to cause any other problems.

Mask it up with tape and repaint it.

And save yourself 20%
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Agree - 'tis but a scratch! Paint over it and you won't even know it's there. 20% off just for that is a good deal.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

Unless you live underwater, most things will air-dry naturally.

Errr - okey dokey.......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • moam293
    Cool thanks guys, I was in a panic there
    Will keep it and tape it up
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    This is only a scratch in the paint, but water can get in there over time and damage the carbon and epoxy.

I accidentally scratched my frame and put clear nail varnish over the top to protect it. Looks Ok, I'll probably redo it every 6 months to year.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    moam293 wrote:
    Cool thanks guys, I was in a panic there
    Will keep it and tape it up
    The advice was to apply masking tape and repaint, not just apply tape. As above, nail varnish or something like that would work well and obviate the need for masking tape but may end up a bit lumpy...so apply in a couple of thin coats and then only you will know it there.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Is this really worth it for 20% off RRP though? Can't see photos here so I don't know what bike it is but couldn't you get that off anyway by shopping around?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    It's fine, touch up if you want it adds character. The good thing is when inevitably it does get a knock it wont be on a pristine bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 447
    Why do you say this? I paddle kayaks made from epoxy/carbon layup and they get covered in scratches from contact with rocks and concrete (on artificial whitewater courses) but the boats don't fall apart.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Why do you say this? I paddle kayaks made from epoxy/carbon layup and they get covered in scratches from contact with rocks and concrete (on artificial whitewater courses) but the boats don't fall apart.

It's an in joke that carbon degrades if it gets wet.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550

It's an in joke that carbon degrades if it gets wet.

My new works bike shed has a/c vents near the bike racks. I keep expecting to find a puddle of molten steel where my now warm to the touch bike lives. I reckon a carbon frame would turn into diamond so I've missed a trick there.
  • Frankly to get 20% off for that you've got a steal!

Personally I would give it a touch up with clear coat nail varnish and forget about it. Your bikes going to get scratched and stone chips elsewhere anyway if you ride it a lot. It's just the way it is.
  • timtak
    timtak Posts: 27
    The scratch does not matter whatsoever. Forget it.