Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Road shorts -recommendation

TamirmTamirm Posts: 6
edited June 2017 in Road general
Hi All
Im looking for a recommendation from you!
Needs high quailty road cycling Shorts (model+brand)...
Very important that the pad will be high quailty and comfort. Did u ever try a silicon pad?it's good?
Thanks :)
«1

Posts

  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Dhb aeron from wiggle.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,571
    Lusso from Merlin cycles.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    Rapha Pro Team
  • wongataawongataa Posts: 892
    Sportful Body Fit Pro
  • mercia_manmercia_man Posts: 1,375
    RedWhite The Bibs.
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,928
    Basically, everyone on here will wear shorts so this could end up as a meaningless thread as most people will simply recommend what they have. OP, you need to set some kind of clear budget and perhaps some context, as in "I have tried xxx and found the pad comfortable". bear in mind that 99% of us will wear bib shorts (and the other 1% don't count) so ensure that you look for them as that makes a big difference on long rides. Also, what kind of use are you expecting? All year or just summer? I wear the same shorts all year (just add leg warmers in winter) but I can see the benefits of, say, Castelli Nanoflex for winter.

    You mention pad (chamois) but leg fit is also a big factor and we all vary (length and girth of thigh) so each of us will tend towards shorts that suit us and what we want. Personally, I like Sportful and Santini but DHB offer great VFM, and many of the other shout-outs are equally valid. Try a few pairs on (wearing jockey pants to do this helps) and see what works for you.
  • dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 927
    I've only ever worn DHB shorts and they are very good VFM.
    The aeron ones are superb and stay comfortable for ages, the cheaper ones are good for shorter distances though.

    Ithe ASV ones are my go to shorts as the pad is very thick and comfy for long rides. They also suit an aggressive position as I ride on the drops quite a lot of the time in summer
  • davep1davep1 Posts: 755
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Basically, everyone on here will wear shorts so this could end up as a meaningless thread as most people will simply recommend what they have. OP, you need to set some kind of clear budget and perhaps some context, as in "I have tried xxx and found the pad comfortable". bear in mind that 99% of us will wear bib shorts (and the other 1% don't count) so ensure that you look for them as that makes a big difference on long rides. Also, what kind of use are you expecting? All year or just summer? I wear the same shorts all year (just add leg warmers in winter) but I can see the benefits of, say, Castelli Nanoflex for winter.

    You mention pad (chamois) but leg fit is also a big factor and we all vary (length and girth of thigh) so each of us will tend towards shorts that suit us and what we want. Personally, I like Sportful and Santini but DHB offer great VFM, and many of the other shout-outs are equally valid. Try a few pairs on (wearing jockey pants to do this helps) and see what works for you.

    I really don't get this. Why are bib shorts better? Maybe if you have the fuller figure, you may need the straps, but otherwise I would say try normal cycling shorts too (ie lycra with a pad, just without the straps). I have some Lusso non bib shorts and they are as comfortable as my Morvelo bibs. The Lusso ones are quite "tall" in the body so when down on the drops there is no danger of flashing butt cleavage.

    They are also massively more convenient if you need a toilet stop. If you've ever been in the cubicle, struggling to get your sweaty jersey off over your head to get the straps off so you can sit down, and everything in the pockets falls out onto the piss covered floor or into the loo you'd seriously question the supposed benefits of bibs
  • TamirmTamirm Posts: 6
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Basically, everyone on here will wear shorts so this could end up as a meaningless thread as most people will simply recommend what they have. OP, you need to set some kind of clear budget and perhaps some context, as in "I have tried xxx and found the pad comfortable". bear in mind that 99% of us will wear bib shorts (and the other 1% don't count) so ensure that you look for them as that makes a big difference on long rides. Also, what kind of use are you expecting? All year or just summer? I wear the same shorts all year (just add leg warmers in winter) but I can see the benefits of, say, Castelli Nanoflex for winter.

    You mention pad (chamois) but leg fit is also a big factor and we all vary (length and girth of thigh) so each of us will tend towards shorts that suit us and what we want. Personally, I like Sportful and Santini but DHB offer great VFM, and many of the other shout-outs are equally valid. Try a few pairs on (wearing jockey pants to do this helps) and see what works for you.

    Thx Bobb for your reply!
    I have now Pearl Izumi attack shorts. the lycra and all is very good BUT the I think the Chamois is doing me problem(rubbing) and hurts on crotch area...
    Thats why I though I should replace to a different shorts.
    I dont have price limit. preferring good high-quality brand ... I live on sunny all-year place so no winter special shorts needed.
    Do you recommned Castelli?
    http://www.wiggle.com/castelli-free-aero-race-shorts/
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,928
    Yes, those FAR shorts are very good and fitted me well, although I used the bib version ;-). I used them for short club thrashes (in the drops) and for all day rides. They are a little short in the thigh, which suited me and the sizing is the usual italian thing (I wore Large, despite being 65kg and 1.8M).

    If you are suffering from rubbing, can you just confirm that you are riding without underwear and ensuring that you use a decent chamois cream? Sometimes, new shorts are not the answer to comfort issues.
  • TamirmTamirm Posts: 6
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Yes, those FAR shorts are very good and fitted me well, although I used the bib version ;-). I used them for short club thrashes (in the drops) and for all day rides. They are a little short in the thigh, which suited me and the sizing is the usual italian thing (I wore Large, despite being 65kg and 1.8M).

    If you are suffering from rubbing, can you just confirm that you are riding without underwear and ensuring that you use a decent chamois cream? Sometimes, new shorts are not the answer to comfort issues.


    Ofcourse.... I'm not an new rider.. Just have been neglectling the ruubing for a time..
    so 73kg ,1.73 Medium is ideal/avg right?
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,928
    mmm, possibly a medium but it is a little hard to judge as one normally buys bib shorts based on height. I think you would probably be a Large as they are a small cut and for shorts (rather than bib shorts) the waist size becomes more important than height.

    One advantage of bibs (apart from ensuring no pressure on the waist and a good high back) is that they keep the shorts well placed and stop them dropping down during the ride so that the pad bunches up and causes discomfort. The FAR have a good lower front so they can be used for pee stops without resorting to having to take clothes off.
  • davesnotheredavesnothere Posts: 1,838
    :shock: Welcome to the forum Tamirm.

    It only took 8 posts before somebody asked if you go commando :shock:

    I have 3 different brands of bib short in rotation

    Altura -i got these on a deal, they're ok but the worst of the 3

    DHB - these are fine, I don't think you'd go far wrong with DHB

    Howies - these are my favourite by far, super comfy and would always be my choice for a ride of 50 miles plus (also love my howies merino leg warmers)

    http://www.howies.co.uk/sports/all-sports/mens-cycle/men-s-bib-short.html
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • TamirmTamirm Posts: 6
    :shock: Welcome to the forum Tamirm.

    It only took 8 posts before somebody asked if you go commando :shock:

    I have 3 different brands of bib short in rotation

    Altura -i got these on a deal, they're ok but the worst of the 3

    DHB - these are fine, I don't think you'd go far wrong with DHB

    Howies - these are my favourite by far, super comfy and would always be my choice for a ride of 50 miles plus (also love my howies merino leg warmers)

    http://www.howies.co.uk/sports/all-sports/mens-cycle/men-s-bib-short.html

    :D:D
  • svettysvetty Posts: 1,904
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 927
    FYI I am 1.75m and 70kg (was 76 last year) and medium DHB fit me pretty much perfectly.
    So certainly for most sizes I would say medium will be okay.
  • shmoshmo Posts: 321
    svetty wrote:

    Crikey those are £205 now? I was feeling flush last year and bought a pair for £185. Nice shorts but the price is eye watering.
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 2,648
    Just got some of the new Rapha Pro Team shorts which are nice but I'm still convinced that Pactimo Summit Raptors are the best I've tried, and they're pretty competitively priced if you use one of the 30% off codes.
  • imafatmanimafatman Posts: 351
    Castelli were super comfortable but they fell apart after 2 months.... So maybe not those?
  • robbo2011robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    shmo wrote:
    svetty wrote:

    Crikey those are £205 now? I was feeling flush last year and bought a pair for £185. Nice shorts but the price is eye watering.

    Sorry guys, that's Brexit for you. Get used to it. :(

    These shorts have come down in price where i live!

    To the OP, i would also recommend any of the Assos range of shorts.
  • TamirmTamirm Posts: 6
    robbo2011 wrote:
    shmo wrote:
    svetty wrote:

    Crikey those are £205 now? I was feeling flush last year and bought a pair for £185. Nice shorts but the price is eye watering.

    Sorry guys, that's Brexit for you. Get used to it. :(

    These shorts have come down in price where i live!

    To the OP, i would also recommend any of the Assos range of shorts.
    You recommend bib than shorts?
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Always bib. I don't know any serious cyclist who doesn't use bibs.
  • MoonbikerMoonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I really don't get this. Why are bib shorts better?


    I always assumed they were better coz its whats the pro's were so must be better. :roll:

    Iv'e never tried them.
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Moonbiker wrote:
    I really don't get this. Why are bib shorts better?


    I always assumed they were better coz its whats the pro's were so must be better. :roll:

    Iv'e never tried them.

    is there something there pros do that isn't better?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • robbo2011robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Tamirm wrote:
    You recommend bib than shorts?

    I would recommend bib shorts. They keeps the pad firmly positioned where it should be.
  • Dorset_BoyDorset_Boy Posts: 3,074
    I am 1.83m and 70 kg and wear XL in Castelli Free aero bibs. I find them v comfortable and regular do 4-6 hour rides in them. I've had no issues with durability.
    I wouldn't be an XL in most other bibs though!
  • davep1davep1 Posts: 755
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Tamirm wrote:
    You recommend bib than shorts?

    I would recommend bib shorts. They keeps the pad firmly positioned where it should be.

    Doesn't your own weight do that?! I'll say it again, my Lusso non-bibs are as comfy as my Morvelo bibs. And a lot more practical in the real world - probably would have saved Dumoulin 90 seconds recently if he hadn't had to take his helmet and jersey off...
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,656
    I too used to think that bibshorts held no benefit over normal shorts, and clearly for DaveP1 that is indeed the case, but I suspect he is more the exception than the rule, and that the vast majority of riders gain more comfort from bib shorts.
    For me this is backed up by the comparitive number of quality non bib options (Yes I know Assos make them) versus quality bib options, where as when I started seriously cycling 11 years ago, I certainly have the recollection there were loads of options out there.

    As for reccomendations - for longer rides, as I'm nto sure what your parameters are, my preference would be:
    Pricey - Rapha Pro Team
    Less pricey - Etxeondo Orhi\La Passione\Endura FS260 with variable pad width - nabbed myself some of these for less than £50 recently.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • craigus89craigus89 Posts: 887
    Over £200 for some lycra and padding is madness, I don't care how much disposable you have.

    The number of times I've been inconvenienced because I've needed a dump have been far outweighed by the comfort of bibs. No waist band to dig in, everything stays where it should, more brands to chose from etc.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,656
    edited June 2017
    craigus89 wrote:
    Over £200 for some lycra and padding is madness, I don't care how much disposable you have.

    The number of times I've been inconvenienced because I've needed a dump have been far outweighed by the comfort of bibs. No waist band to dig in, everything stays where it should, more brands to chose from etc.

    Couldn't agree with you more, my most expensive pair are £120, the La Passiones, and Etxeondo's £60 and £70 respectively.
    It's all about buying at the right time in the sales and or when discount codes are around :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
Sign In or Register to comment.